This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison of Carbon Dioxide Removal Strategies Applied to Natural Gas Power Plants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present study attempts to compare two recently proposed concepts for the direct removal of carbon dioxide from the emissions of large hydrocarbon-fueled power plants. The more specific case of an existing 500 MW natural gas plant is examined. At first, previously published calculations corresponding to the pre-combustion scheme of Mori et al. (1991), based on methane reforming, are summarized. Flue gas treatment, coupled with air separation upstream of the boiler, as proposed by Golomb et al. (1989), is then applied to the same existing 500 MW plant. In this fashion, the two methods can be consistently compared. Pre-combustion fuel processing appears to result in lower power cost penalties, of the order of 30%, whereas the post-flame separation technology considered here would impose a power cost increase of nearly 50%.
- M. A. Syed - Pacific International Center for High Technology Research
- S. M. Masutani - Pacific International Center for High Technology Research
- G. C. Nihous - Pacific International Center for High Technology Research
- L. A. Vega - Pacific International Center for High Technology Research
- C. M. Kinoshita
CitationSyed, M., Masutani, S., Nihous, G., Vega, L. et al., "A Comparison of Carbon Dioxide Removal Strategies Applied to Natural Gas Power Plants," SAE Technical Paper 929191, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929191.
- Golomb, D. Herzog H. Tester J. White D. Zemba S. “Feasibility, Modeling and Economics of Sequestering Power Plant CO 2 Emissions in the Deep Ocean” Massachusetts Institute of Technology December 1989
- Masutani, S. M. Mori Y. Kinoshita C. M. Nihous G. C. Vega L. A. Ho T. “An Experimental Facility to Simulate Deep Ocean Discharge of Carbon Dioxide” 9th World Hydrogen Energy Conference Paris June 1992
- Mori, Y. Masutani S. M. Nihous G. C. Vega L. A. Kinoshita C. M. “A Strategy for Pre-combustion Removal of Carbon Dioxide from Hydrocarbon-fueled Plants” ASME National Heat Transfer Conference 13 21 Minneapolis July 1991
- Mori, Y. Masutani S. M. Nihous G. C. Vega L. A. Kinoshita C. M. “Pre-Combustion Removal of Carbon Dioxide from Hydrocarbon-Fueled Power Plants” AFRC/JFRC International Conference on Environmental Control of Combustion Processes 14 13 Honolulu October 1991
- Nihous, G. C. Mori Y. Masutani S. M. Vega L. A. Kinoshita C. M. “Projected Impact of Deep Ocean Carbon Dioxide Discharge on Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Concentrations” 27th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference San Diego August 1992
- Steinberg, M. Cheng H. C. Horn F. “A Systems Study for the Removal, Recovery, and Disposal of Carbon Dioxide from Fossil Fuel Power Plants in the U. S.” Brookhaven National Laboratory Long Island, N. Y. May 1984
- Weller, A. E. Rising B. W. Boiarski A. A. Nordstrom R. J. Barrett R. E. Luce R. G. “Experimental Evaluation of Firing Pulverized Coal in a C02/02 Atmosphere October 1985