This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of the Terrestrial Power Generation Plant Using the Alkali Metal Thermo-Electric Conversion (AMTEC)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Alkali Metel Thermo - Electric Conversion (AMTEC) technology is one of the candidates to realize the high performance power generation plant using the various kind of thermal energy. For the terrestrial application of the AMTEC, various types of power generation systems are considered to be adaptable.
In this paper, we present the conceptual design of the AMTEC module that is adaptable for the above terrestrial power plant, and the results of basic evaluation of the thermal performance of the AMTEC.
On the basis of the above results, we evaluate the performance of three types of power generation plants. They are the simple AMTEC plant, the combined plant with the steam turbine and the combined plant with the Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC). It is shown that the thermal efficiency of the combined plant with the SOFC is expected to be over 60%, even if the thermal efficiency of the simple AMTEC system is about 37%.
It is shown that the AMTEC - SOFC combined cycle power generation plant can actualized the considerably high thermal efficiency, and is one of the best solution in utilizing the terrestrial power generation plant of the AMTEC.
CitationSasakawa, E., Kanzaka, M., Yamada, A., Tsukuda, H. et al., "Performance of the Terrestrial Power Generation Plant Using the Alkali Metal Thermo-Electric Conversion (AMTEC)," SAE Technical Paper 929062, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929062.
- Hunt T. K. Weber N. W. “The Sodium Heat Engine: A New Approach to Direct Heat-to-Electricity Conversion” 9th Energy Technology Conference 1982 498 504
- Masuda T. “Fundamental Study on Alkali Metal Thermoelectric Converter” Researches of the Electrotechnical Laboratory 1989
- Underwood M. L. Williams R. M. Jefferies - Nakamura B. Ryan M. A. O'Connor D. “Performance Projections of Alternative AMTEC Systems and Devices” 1991 American Institute of Physics Proc. No.217 472 481
- Sievers R.K. Bankston C. P. “Radioisotope Powered Alkali Metal Thermoelectric Converter Design for Space systems” 23rd IECEC'88 3 159 167
- Chi J. W. H. Sievers R.K. Hunt T.K. “Space Power Reacter AMTEC Concept” 23rd IECEC'88 3 691 693
- Tanaka T. Masuda T. negishi A. Honda T. Hori Y. Honma T. “Peformance Characteristics and Thermal Design os Alkali Metal Thermoelectric Conversion System” 25th IECEC'90 2 402 406
- Moreno J.B. Abbin J.P. Andraka C.E. Lukens L.L. “iquid Metal Thermal Electric Converter Theoretical and Experimantal Studies” 23rd IECEC '88 1 235 240
- Lasecki J.V. Novak R.F. McBride J.R. Brockway J.T. Hunt T.K. “A One Hunred watt sodium Heat Engine” 22nd IECEC'87 1 1408 1415
- Hiramatsu M. Osada I. Tsukuda Y. Yamada A. Noutomi K. Kikuchi Y. “Fundamental Study on Alkali Metal Thermo - electric Conversion” 1991 National Convention Record I. E. E. Japan 12 191