This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fundamental Study on the Terrestrial Power Generation Plant Using the Alkali Metal Thermo-Electric Conversion (AMTEC)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 03, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The sodium β″-Al2O3 is one of the prime candidate as the solid state electrolyte in using the Alkali Metal Thermo-Electric Converter (AMTEC). This paper reports the properties of β″-Al2O3/ZrO2 composite electrolyte in order to improve the durability of the cell and its performance for the power generation as the AMTEC. It is shown that the addition of ZrO2 to the β″-Al2O3 is able to control the microstructure, and the fabrication procedure of the electrolyte with the ZrO2 addition is selected.
This paper also reports the new concepts of the AMTEC cells that are connected in series in order to raise generation voltage and shows that the adaptability of the AMTEC for terrestrial power generation is improved by these concept.
CitationTsukuda, H., Kanzaka, M., Yamada, A., Kikuchi, H. et al., "Fundamental Study on the Terrestrial Power Generation Plant Using the Alkali Metal Thermo-Electric Conversion (AMTEC)," SAE Technical Paper 929061, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/929061.
- “The Feasibility Study on Ceramic Thermo-Electric Converter II” Matsuo Y. Kato T.
- “Sintering Processes and Heat Treatment Schedules for Conductive, Lithia-Stabilized β″-Al2O3” Youngblood G.E, Virkar A.V. Gordon W.R. Ceramic Bulletin 56 2 206 1977
- “Transformation Toughening and Grain Size Control in β″-Al2O3/ZrO2 Composites” Green D.J. Mater J. Sci. 20 1985 2639 2646
- “Development of a 1kW sodium heat engine” Novak R.F. McBride J.R. Hunt T.K. Schmatz D.J. 23th lntersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 1988 219 225
- “Liquid Metal Thermal Electric Converter” Lukens L.L. Andraka C.E. Moreno J.B. Abbin J.P. 22nd lntersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 1987 1416 1422
- “Power Generating Performance of Alkali Metal Thermoelectric Converter” Masuda T. Negishi A. Tanaka K. Honda T. Fujii T. Proceeding of the Second Power and Energy Conference 1991 153 158
- “High Power Density Alkali Metal Thermal to Electric Converter” Sievers R.K. Wright F.K. 25th lntersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 1990 426 430
- “Property of Slip-Cast Transformation-Toughened β″-Al2O3/ZrO2 composites” Green M.J. Metcalf M.G. Ceramic Bulletin 63 6 1984 803 820
- “High Efficiency Thermoelectric Conversion with Solid Electrolytes-Theoretical Analysis” Proceedings of Workshop on Thermally Regenerative Electro chemical System, DOE/SERI Report SERI/CP-234-1577 Dec. 1981 109
- “Output Power and Efficiency for a Sodium Thermoelectric Heat Engine” Hunt T.K. Weber N. Cole T. 13th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 1978 2011
- “Study on the Electrode of Alkali Metal Thermo electric Converter” Masuda T. Negishi A. Tanaka K. Honda T. T.IEEJapan 110-B 2 1990
- “Research and Development Program on a Sodium Heat engine” Hunt T.K. Weber N.