This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Head Angular Acceleration in Crash Tests: Development of an Electronic Device for the Hybrid III Dummy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
A new approach has been developed to facilitate the measurement of head angular acceleration in automobile crash tests. It consists of two parts: an array of 12 linear accelerometers mounted in a Hybrid III dummy head and an electronic signal processor mounted on the dummy spine. The accelerometer outputs are led to conventional data acquisition equipment and also to the signal processor which digitizes the raw acceleration signals, stores them, and computes the 3-D angular acceleration. This acceleration and the 3-D linear acceleration of the head c.g. are available in real time or post test. The equipment has been evaluated on a mini-sled, with various configurations of head loading and kinematics, and also in Hyge sled tests performed at 40 km/h with a 3 point belted Hybrid III dummy. The angular accelerations returned by the signal processor in both test settings corresponded closely to those computed off-line from the raw data.
CitationBendjellal, F., Oudenard, L., Eller, E., Koch, M. et al., "Measurement of Head Angular Acceleration in Crash Tests: Development of an Electronic Device for the Hybrid III Dummy," SAE Technical Paper 922511, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922511.
- Viano, D.C. “Biomechanics of Head Injury-Toward a Theory Linking Head Dynamic Motion, Brain Tissue Deformation, and Neural Trauma” Proc. 32nd Stapp Car Crash Conference Atlanta, GA October 1988
- Lightall, J.W. Melvin, J.W. Ueno, K. “Toward a Biomechanical Criterion for Functional Brain Injury” Proc. 12th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Gothenburg, Sweden May 1989
- Trosseille, S. Tarrière,, C. Lavaste, F. Lassau, J.F. “Development of a F.E.M. of the Human Head According to a Specific Test Protocol” 36th Stapp Car Crash Conference Seattle, WA November 1992
- Laughlin, D.R. “A Magnetohydrodynamic Angular Motion Sensor for Anthropomorphic Test Device Instrumentation” Proc. 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference Washington, DC December 1989
- Alem, N.M “Measurement of 3-D Motion” HSRI Ann Arbor, MI October 1972
- Lestrelin, D. Nanterre, France 1983
- Padgaonkar, A.J. Krieger, K.W. King, A.F. “Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics September 1975
- Viano, D.C. Melvin, J.W. McCleary, J.D. Madeira, R.C. Shee, T.R. Horsch, J.D. “Measurement of Head Dynamics and Facial Contact Forces in the Hybrid III Dummy” Proc. 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference October 1986
- Bendjellal, F. Oudenard, L. Uriot, J. Brigout, C. Brun-Cassan, F. Le Coz, J.Y. Tarrière, C. “Computation of Hybrid III Head Dynamics in Various Impact Situations” Proc. 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference Orlando, FL November 1990
- Oudenard, L. Bendjellal, F. Bellini, A. Uriot, J. “The Use of Multiaccelerometric Methods in Automotive Safety Tests” Appendix-The Nx1 Method, Proc. 13th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Paris, France October 1991