This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Air-Fuel Mixture Distribution in a Gasoline Engine Using LIEF Technique
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The laser-induced exciplex fluorescence (LIEF) technique, currently used to observe mixture formation in a diesel engine, has been applied to a spark ignition (SI) engine and a new equivalence ratio calibration technique has been developed in order that two-dimensional measurements of the equivalence ratio may be made in an operating engine.
Spectrally separated fluorescent images of liquid and vapor phase fuel distributions were obtained by adding new exciplex-forming dopants to the gasoline fuel. Dual light sheets from an excimer laser were introduced into one of the cylinders of a 4-valve lean-burn engine, and 2-D images of the mixture formation were recorded at pre-set crank angles during the induction and compression strokes by an image-intensified camera equipped with the appropriate filter.
The relationship between fluorescence intensity and equivalence ratio was investigated for purposes of calibration so that vapor phase spatial concentration maps of the equivalence ratio could be obtained for a quantitative analysis of mixture formation.
CitationShimizu, R., Matumoto, S., Furuno, S., Murayama, M. et al., "Measurement of Air-Fuel Mixture Distribution in a Gasoline Engine Using LIEF Technique," SAE Technical Paper 922356, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922356.
- Inoue,T., et al, “In Cylinder Gas Motion, Mixture Formation and Combustion of 4 Valve Lean Burn Engine”, 9th Int, Vienna Motor Symposium, 1988.
- Johonston,S.C.,Robinson,C.W.,Rorke,W.S.,Smith,J.R. and Witze,P.O., “Application of Laser Diagnostics to an Injected Engine”, SAE Paper 872074, 1987.
- Felton, P.G., Mantzaras, J., Bardsley, M.E.A., and Bracco,F.V., “2-D Visualization of Liquid Fuel Injection in an Internal Combustion Engine”, SAE Paper 872074, 1987
- Zhao,F., Kadota,T. and Takemoto,T., “Temporal and Cyclic Fluctuation of Fuel Vapor Concentration in a Spark Ignition Engine”, SAE Paper 912346, 1991.
- Melton,L.A., “Separated Fluorescence Emissions for Diesel Fuel Droplets and Vapor”, Appl. Optics, 22, p2224, 1983.
- Melton, L.A. and Verdieck, J.F., “Vapor / Liquid Visualization in Fuel Sprays”, 20th Combustion Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, p1283, 1984.
- Melton, L.A. and Verdieck, J.F., “Vapor / Liquid Visualization for Fuel Sprays”, Combust, Sci. and Tech., 42, p217, 1985.
- Rotunno. A.A., Winter, M., Dobbs, G.M. and Melton,L.A., “Direct Calibration Procedures for Exciplex-Based Vapor/Liquid Visualization of Fuel Sprays”, Combust, Sci. and Tech., 71, p247, 1990
- Bardsley,M.E.A., Felton,P.G. and Bracco,F.V., “2-D Visualization of Liquid and Vapor Fuel in an I.C. Engine”, SAE Paper 880315, 1989.
- Bardsley,M.E.A., Felton,P.G. and Bracco,F.V., “2-D Visualization of a Hollow-Cone Spray in a Cup-in-Head, Ported, I.C. Engine”, SAE Paper 880315, 1989.
- Okano,H., et al, “TOYOTA Lean-Burn System - Recent Development -”, 11th Int. Vienna Motor Symposium, 1990
- Nakanishi,K.,et al, “Development of New Intake System for a 4-Valve Lean Burn Engine”, FISITA'92, Paper No.925020, 1992.