This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Color Particle Image Velocimetry Applied to a Single Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A two-color Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) technique has been applied to a motored single cylinder two-stroke motored research engine. In two-color PIV, two light sheets of different wavelengths are used to successively record, at a known time separation, the positions of the particulate seeds in the flowfield. By separately interrogating the two images of different color and cross-correlating them, a two-dimensional velocity field is obtained. Since the sequence of the images is known, directional ambiguity is eliminated and two-color PIV can be used to study complex, recirculating flows such as those found in an internal combustion engine.
The technique is used here to measure the flow in the cup of a motored, single cylinder, cup-in-head, research engine operating with high swirl. Velocity fields were measured at several planes parallel to the piston crown. Multiple images were obtained at each plane, and ensemble averaged velocity and velocity fluctuation were determined. Laser Doppler velocimetry was also used to make point velocity measurements at a limited number of locations and these measurements were compared with those made by PIV.
CitationNino, E., Gajdeczko, B., and Felton, P., "Two-Color Particle Image Velocimetry Applied to a Single Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 922309, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922309.
- Heywood, J.B. ‘Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals’ McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 1988
- Rask, R. B. ‘Laser Doppler Anemometer Measurements of Mean Velocity and Turbulence in Internal Combustion Engines.’ Intl. Conf. on Applics. of Lasers and Electro-Optics Boston Nov. 12-15 1984 GM Research Laboratories Publication GMR-4839 October 3 1984
- Fansler, T.D. French, D.T. ‘Cycle-resolved Laser-velocimetry Measurements in a Reentrant-bowl-in-piston Engine’ SAE paper , ( 880377 ) 1988
- Liou, T.M. Hall, M.J. Santavicca, D. A. Bracco, F.V. ‘LDV Measurements in Valved and Ported Engines’ SAE paper , ( 840375 ) 1984
- Glover, A.R. Hundleby, G.E. Hadded, O. ‘An Investigation into Engine Turbulence Using Scanning LDA’ SAE paper ( 880379 ) 1988
- Fraser, R.A. Bracco, F.V. ‘Cycle-Resolved LDV Integral Length-Scale Measurements in an I. C. Engine’ SAE paper ( 880021 ) 1988
- Hentschel, W. Stoffregen, B. ‘Flow Visualization with Laser Light-Sheet Techniques in Automotive Research’ Veret C. Flow Visualization IV Hemisphere Pub. Corp. Washington 1987
- Reuss, D.L. Adrian, R.J. Landreth, C.C. French, D.T. Fansler, T.D. ‘Instantaneous Planar Measurements of Velocity and Large-Scale Vorticity and Strain Rate in an Engine Using Particle-Image Velocimetry’ SAE paper , ( 890616 ) 1989
- Reuss, D.L. Bardsley, M.E.A. Felton, P.G. Landreth, C.C. Adrian, R.J. ‘Velocity, Vorticity and Strain-Rate Ahead of a Flame Measured in an Engine Using Particle Image Velocimetry’ SAE paper , ( 900053 ) 1990
- Stucky, M.J. Nino, E. Gajdeczko, B.F. Felton, P.G. ‘Two-Color Particle Image Velocimetry Technique for an Internal Combustion Engine’ Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science Journal March 1992
- Landreth, C.C. Adrian, R.J. ‘Electrooptical Image Shifting for Particle Image Velocimetry’ Applied Optics 27 4216 20 1988
- Adrian, R.J. ‘Image Shifting Technique to Resolve Directional Ambiguity in Double Pulsed Velocimetry’ Applied Optics 25 3855 58 1986
- Gharib, M. Willert, C.E. ‘Digital Particle Image Velocimetry’ Experiments in Fluids 10 181 193 1991
- Goss, L.P. Post, M.E. Trump, D.D. Sarka, B. ICALEO '89 1989
- Bardsley, M.E.A. Gajdeczko, B. Boulouchos, K. Chehroudi, B. Bracco, F.V. Measurements of the Three Components of the Velocity in the Intake Ports of an I.C. engine SAE paper , ( 890792 )
- Mazumder, M.K. Kirsch, K.J. ‘Flow Tracing Fidelity of Scattering Aerosol in Laser Doppler Velocimetry’ Applied Optics 14 4 April 1975
- Durst, F. Melling, A. Whitelaw, J.H. ‘Principles and Practices of Laser-Doppler Anemometry’ Academic Press 1976
- Bendat, J.S. Piersol, A.G. ‘Random data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures’ Wiley-Interscience New York 1971
- Iijima, T. ‘LDV Measurements in an Engine with Square and Circular Piston Cups’ M.S. thesis 1783-T MAE Dept., Princeton University 1987