This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Operation of a High-Pressure Combustion System for Study of Soot Formation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the design and operation of a facility capable of providing experimental data on the mechanism of soot formation and oxidation under controlled sustainable conditions. The central piece of the facility “the combustor” is described in detail together with its variable geometry which facilitates independent control of pressure (up to 100 bar), air-fuel ratio, swirl, angled injection, fuel-wall impingement and the feasibility of intermittent injection and auto-ignition. A planned staged programme for carrying out an extensive research study is outlined, and the versatility of the installation and its usefulness for testing alternative fuels is demonstrated.
CitationNazha, M. and Crookes, R., "Design and Operation of a High-Pressure Combustion System for Study of Soot Formation," SAE Technical Paper 922206, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922206.
- Janota M S Crookes R J Daie S I Nazha M A A Sodha M “Soot and gaseous pollutant formation in a burning fuel spray in relation to pressure and air/fuel ratio” J. Inst. Fuel 10 13 1977
- Nazha M A A Crookes R J “Effects of water content on pollutant formation in a burning spray of water-in-diesel fuel emulsion” 20th Symp.(Int.) on Comb 1984
- Nazha M A A Crookes R J “Combustion characteristics at elevated pressures of plant derived oils” Inst. Energy Applied Energy Research Conf. Session II 91 102 1989
- Crookes R J Nazha M A A “Measurement and prediction of soot and gaseous species in a burning fuel spray at elevated pressure” XI Int. Symp. on Combustion Processes Poland Sept. 1989
- Nelson J A Crookes R J Simons S “On obtaining the fractal dimension of a 3-D cluster from its projection on a plane - Application to smoke agglomerates” Journal of Physics D; Appl. Phys. 23 465 468 1990
- Wagner H Gg “Soot formation - an overview” Particulate carbon formation during combustion Ed. Siegla Donald C Smith George W Plenum press 1981
- Plee S L Ahmad T Myers J P Siegla D C “Effects of flame temperature and air-fuel mixing on emission of particulate carbon from a divided-chamber diesel engine” Particulate carbon formation during combustion Ed. Siegla Donald C Smith George W Plenum press 1981