This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient Engine and Piston Friction During Starting
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The instantaneous frictional torque (IFT) of the engine and the piston-ring assembly frictional force (PRAFF) were determined during cranking and starting of a direct injection single cylinder diesel engine. The measurements included the cylinder gas pressure, the instantaneous torque of the electric starter, the angular velocity of the crankshaft and the axial force on the connecting rod. The engine and piston friction were determined every crank angle degree for all the cycles from the time the starter was engaged to the time the engine reached the idling speed. The data was analyzed and a comparison was made between the friction in successive cycles.
|Technical Paper||Mechanics and Stress Analysis of Piston Ring In Multibody Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine - Fe Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Lubrication Investigation of a Non-Straight Internal Combustion Hydrodynamic Bearing|
CitationMarek, S. and Henein, N., "Transient Engine and Piston Friction During Starting," SAE Technical Paper 922197, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922197.
- Rezeka, S. F. Henein, N.A. “A New Approach to Evaluate Instantaneous Friction and Its Components in Internal Combustion Engines,” 1984 SAE Transactions Paper No. 840179 1984
- Fragoulis, A.N. Nichols, A.H. Henein, N.A. “Error Analysis of Time-Dependent Frictional Torque in Reciprocating Engines:Effect of Angular Velocity,” Lubrication Eng. 45 7 493 499 1989
- Brown, W.L. “Methods for Evaluating Requirements and Errors in Cylinder Pressure Measurements,” SAE Automotive Engineering Congress,Paper No. 670008 1967
- Lancaster, D.R. Krieger, R.B. Lienesch, J.H. “Measurement and Analysis of Engine Pressure Data,” SAE Paper No. 750026 1975
- Kuratle, R.H. Marki, B. “Influencing Parameters and Error Sources During Indication on Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Paper 920233 1992
- Henein, N.A. Marek, S.L. Fragoulis, A.N “Error Analysis of Time-Dependent Frictional Torque in Reciprocating Engines:Effect of Cylinder Gas Pressure,” Tribology Transactions 35 3 516 522 1992
- Marek, S.L. Henein, N.A. Bryzik, W. “Effect of Load and other Parameters on Instantaneous Friction Torque in Reciprocating Engines,” SAE Paper No. 910752 1991
- Rosenberg, R.C. “General Friction Considerations for Engine Design,” SAE Paper No. 821576 1982
- Staron, J.T. Willermet, P.A. “An Analysis of Valve Train Friction in Terms of Lubrication Principles,” SAE Paper No.83016 1983