This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Spark Ignition Engine Operated by Oxygen Enriched Air
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The impact of minutely oxygen-enriched air on spark-ignition (SI) engine combustion was studied by obtaining engine performance measurements and investigating in-cylinder reactions. This study was initiated to determine if development of a new air-cleaner method, which may employ molecular sieve or membrane technology to slightly increase the oxygen concentration in the inducted air, is beneficial for engine operations.
The air introduced into a single-cylinder SI engine was added with oxygen to produce oxygen concentrations of 21, 22 and 23%. Some results from engine tests performed with the oxygen enrichment are: The heat release lag, cycle variation and combustion period decreased; substantial reduction of emissions of unburned hydrocarbon emission and noticeable decrease of carbon monoxide were observed; and the brake thermal efficiency and engine output increased.
In order to gain a better understanding of in-cylinder reactions and to help explain the findings obtained from the performance/emission test with oxygen enrichment, high-speed spectral IR digital imaging was performed in an SI engine. It was found that addition of small amounts of oxygen into the fuel/air mixture noticeably increased thermal radiation (due to higher temperature) from the reaction zone throughout the combustion period. This is considered to play a role in reducing UHC and CO emissions as well as increasing thermal efficiency.
CitationKajitani, S., Sawa, N., McComiskey, T., and Rhee, K., "A Spark Ignition Engine Operated by Oxygen Enriched Air," SAE Technical Paper 922174, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922174.
- Willument, H.P. Bauer, M. “Emission and Performance of an SI Engine Inducting Oxygen-Enriched Combustion Air MTZ Mptrtechnische Zeitshrift 1989 49 149 152
- Quader, A.A. “Exhaust Emission and Performance of a Spark Ignition Engine Using Oxygen Enriched Intake Air,” Combustion Science and Technology 1978 19 81 86
- Bata, R.M. Elrod, A.C. Lewandowski, T.P “Butanol as a Blending Agent with Gasoline for IC Engines,” SAE Paper- 890434 1989
- Most, W.J “Coordinating Research Council Study of Winter Exhaust Emissions with Gasoline/Oxygenate Blends,” SAE Paper- 892091 1989
- Jiang, H. McComiskey, T. Jeong, Y.I. Qian, Y. Rhee, K.T. Kent, J.C. “A New High-Speed Spectral Infrared Imaging Device Applied for Imaging Gaseous Mixtures in Combustion Devices,”