This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal and Mechanical Damage of Paper Wet Friction Material Induced by Non-Uniform Contact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Black mottled patterns often apear on the surfaces of steel reaction plates in wet paper friction clutch system. This phenomenon results from non-uniform contact in the clutch pack. It isexperientially said that this non-uniform contact in the wet paper friction clutch shortens its life.
To date the damage by non-uniform contact has not been studied quantitatively.
Analysis of this phenomenon was studied to determine its relationship to the life of the wet friction system's frictional and durability characteristics.
By analyzing the relationship between friction surface temperature, degree of non-uniform contact of the clutch pack and the degree of damage on the friction materials (or the whole clutch pack system), useful information for actual clutch and brake application has been obtained.
CitationTakezaki, K. and Kubota, M., "Thermal and Mechanical Damage of Paper Wet Friction Material Induced by Non-Uniform Contact," SAE Technical Paper 922095, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922095.
- SoltMichael B.;“Optimizing Automatic Transmission Clutch Lining Load Distribution Using Finite Element Analysis,SAE 900559(1990)
- ZagrodzkiP.;“NUMERICAL ANALYSIS OF TEMPERATURE FIELDS AND THERMAL STRESSES IN THE FRICTION DISCS OF A MULTIDISC WET CLUTCH”,Wear,101(1985) 255-271
- ZagrodzkiP.;“Analysis of thermomechanical phenomena in multidisc clutches and brakes”, Wear, 140(1990)291-308
- FishRobert L.;“Wet Friction Material-Some Modes of Failure and Methods of Correction”, SAE760664(1976)
- NewcombT.P. and SpurrR.T.;“THE INTERACTION BETWEEN FRICTION MATERIALS AND LUBRICANTS”,Wear, 24(1973)69-76
- AnleitnerMicheal A.“Friction Material Failure Modes in Oil-Immersed Multiple Disk Brakes”, SAE 841064(1984)
- OsanaiH.,IkedaK. and KatoK.;“Relations Between Temperature in Friction Materials During Engaging of Wet Friction Paper”,SAE 900553 (1990)