This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Friction Evaluation of Concrete Paver Blocks for Airport Pavement Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development and use of concrete paver blocks is reviewed and some general specifications for application of this type of pavement surface at airport facilities are given. Two different shapes of interlocking concrete paver blocks installed in the track surface at NASA Langley's Aircraft Landing Dynamics Facility (ALDF) are described. Preliminary cornering performance results from testing of 40 x 14 radial-belted and bias-ply aircraft tires are reviewed. These tire tests are part of a larger, ongoing joint NASA/FAA/Industry Surface Traction and Radial Tire (START) Program involving several different tire sizes. Both dry and wet surface conditions were evaluated on the two concrete paver block test surfaces and a conventional, nongrooved Portland cement concrete surface. Future test plans involving evaluation of other concrete paver block designs at the ALDF are indicated.
|Technical Paper||Gust Loads on Airplanes|
|Technical Paper||Cornering and Wear Behavior of the Space Shuttle Orbiter Main Gear Tire|
|Technical Paper||Iced Aircraft Flight Data for Flight Simulator Validation|
CitationYager, T., "Friction Evaluation of Concrete Paver Blocks for Airport Pavement Applications," SAE Technical Paper 922013, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922013.
- Shackel, B. Design and Construction of Interlocking Concrete Block Pavements Elsevier Science Publishers Ltd. 1990 Essex, England 1-85166-566-8
- Knapton, John Emery, John A. Airfield Pavement Design with Concrete Pavers Concrete Paver Institute April 1989
- Emery, John A. Concrete Pavers for Aircraft Pavement Surfaces Paper No. 21041 ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering 112 6 November 1986
- Anderton, Gary L. Concrete Block Pavement for Airfields Air Force Engineering and Services Center Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida Technical Report GL-91 - 12 July 1991
- King, Perry M. Smith, David R. Interlocking Concrete Pavements for Airfields American Concrete Institute Convention Boston, Massachusetts March 17-21 1991
- Davis, Pamela A. Stubbs, Sandy M. Tanner, John A. Langley's Aircraft Landing Dynamics Facility NASA RP 1198 October 1987
- Leland, Trafford J. W. Yager, Thomas J. Joyner, Upshur T. Effects of Pavement Texture on Wet-Runway Braking Performance NASA TN D-4323 January 1968
- Yager, Thomas J. Stubbs, Sandy M. Davis, Pamela A. Aircraft Radial-Belted Tire Evaluation SAE Paper No. 901913 SAE Aerospace Technology Conference and Exposition Long Beach, California October 1-4 1990
- Yager, Thomas J. Davis, Pamela A. Stubbs, Sandy M. Martinson, Veloria J. Braking, Steering and Wear Performance of Radial-Belted and Bias-Ply Aircraft Tires SAE Paper No. 921036 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference and Exposition Dayton, Ohio April 7-10 1992