This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamics of Low Speed Crash Tests with Energy Absorbing Bumpers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Low speed crash tests with Ford Escorts of model years 1981-1983 were conducted. The response of these vehicles equipped with energy absorbing bumpers in bumper-to-bumper impacts and in an under-ride of one bumper under another are evaluated.
Bumper displacement, vehicle acceleration, and vehicle velocity time histories are presented for both bullet and target vehicles. Two impacts each at 2.23, 4.47, and 6.71 m/s were conducted. Similar data is presented for a 4.47 m/s impact in which the front bumper of the bullet vehicle underrode the rear bumper of the target vehicle. Results indicate increased damage associated with the underride test, without corresponding increases in vehicle responses.
|Technical Paper||Whiplash in Low Speed Vehicle Collisions|
|Technical Paper||Automobile Bumper Behavior in Low-Speed Impacts|
|Technical Paper||Characteristics of Specific Automobile Bumpers in Low-Velocity Impacts|
CitationSzabo, T. and Welcher, J., "Dynamics of Low Speed Crash Tests with Energy Absorbing Bumpers," SAE Technical Paper 921573, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/921573.
- Severy D.M. Mathewson J.H. Bechtol C.O. “Controlled Automobile Rear-End Collisions, an Investigation of Related Engineering and Medical Phenomena,” Canadian Services and Medical Journal Nov. 1955
- Severy D.M. Harrision M.B. Baird J.D. “Backrest and Head Restraint Design for Rear-End Collision Protection,” SAE Paper 687009 Jan. 1968
- Thomson R.W. “An Investigation Into Low Speed Rear Impacts of Automobiles,” Master's Thesis, University of British Columbia 1990
- Romilly D.P. Thomson R.W. Navin F. MacNabb M.J. “Low Speed Rear Impacts and the Elastic Properties of Automobiles,” Proceedings, 12th International Conference of Experimental Safety Vehicles 1989 Gothenburg, Sweden
- Bailey M.N. King D.J. Romilly D.P. Thomson R.W. “Characterization of Automotive Bumper Components for Low Speed Impacts,” Proceedings of the Canadian Multi-disciplinary Road Safety Conference VII 1991 Vancouver, British Columbia
- Emori R.I. Horiguchi J. “Whiplash in Low Speed Collisions,” SAE Paper 900542
- Collins J.C. Accident Reconstruction Charles C. Thomas 1979