This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Visual Aiming of European and U.S. Low-Beam Headlamps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study evaluated the effect of the sharpness of the cutoff (the transition between the lighter and darker portions of the beam) of low-beam headlamps on visual vertical aiming. Out of ten lamps tested, seven had a U.S.-type beam pattern and three had a European-type beam pattern. Twenty younger and middle-aged subjects of both sexes, along with an experienced lamp aimer, were asked to adjust the vertical aim of the lamps in such a way that the cutoff of the beam was coincident with a horizontal line on a vertical surface. The subjects were instructed to make the alignment using the illumination gradient to the right of vertical for the U.S.-type lamps and to the left of vertical for the European-type lamps. Each person aimed each lamp ten times.
There are two main results. First, the location of the perceived cutoff was generally near the location of the maximum contrast between adjacent vertical parts of the beam pattern. Second, the variability of the aiming performance was systematically related to the magnitude of the maximum contrast.
|Technical Paper||Comparison Amongst Emerging Markets in Regards to Headlamp Performance and the Challenges Ahead for Global Programs|
|Technical Paper||The Automobile Headlamp Problem|
CitationSivak, M., Flannagan, M., Chandra, D., and Gellatly, A., "Visual Aiming of European and U.S. Low-Beam Headlamps," SAE Technical Paper 920814, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920814.
- Bhise, D.V. Matle, C.C. Hoffrneister, D.H. 1984 CHESS model application in headlamp systems evaluation SAE Technical Paper Series No. 84046 Wanendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Dorleans, G. 1990 Low beam cutoff Meeting of the SAE Lighting Committee Scottsdale, AZ
- Harrison. A.L. 1984 Defining the illuminance cut-offfor the E.C.E. low beam headlamp as a means of analysing the effects of bulb replacement on headlamp output Report No. ST-336 Ottawa. Canada National Aeronautical Establishment, Structures and Materials Laboratory
- Olson, P.L. 1985 Measurement of crash avoidance characteristics of vehicles in use Report No. UMTRI-85-20 Ann Arbor The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Poynter, W.D. Plummer, R.D. Donohue, R.J. 1989 Vertical alignment of headlamps by visual aim Report No. GMR-6693 Warren, MI General Motors Research Laboratories
- Rendu, R. 1991 Vehicle lighting design for optimal visibility and performance Special Publication SP-857 Wanendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers
- Schmidt-Clausen, H.J. 1979 Methoden zur Bestimung der Lage von Hell-Dunkel-Grenzen CIE Meeting Kyoto, Japan