This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Cowling on the Local Cooling Effectiveness of Engine Air-Cooled Cylinders
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work, the effect of providing air-cooled cylinders with cowlings on the local cooling effectiveness was investigated. Cast-iron specimens representing air-cooled cylinders were manufactured with rectangular and trapezoidal fins. Fifteen cowlings were manufactured to provide for various cowling parameters namely: cowling diameter to fin diameter ratio, cowling tail length to fin diameter ratio, cowling tail width to fin diameter ratio and cowling tail angle. A specially designed test rig was manufactured for this purpose. It mainly consists of an air blower, air heating box, orifice plate flowmeter and a test-section. The test variables included the air flow velocity, air temperature and heat flux. Local heat-transfer data were gathered using micro-thermo-couples embedded in the front, side and rear of the specimens representing air-cooled cylinder. Particular attention was given to the rear part of the finned cylinder (opposite to the direction of air flow). That part was always the hottest part and thus can promote cylinder scuffing and large thermal stresses due to the large circumferential temperature variation. In this respect, the optimum cowling parameters were put forward that provide for optimum local cooling effectiveness. Also, correlation of data was attempted to enable a prediction to be made.
|Technical Paper||The 1D CAE Program for Cylinder Head Gasket Design|
|Technical Paper||A BRIEF SURVEY of the PRINCIPLES of PRESSURE WATER COOLING|
|Technical Paper||Electro-Hydraulic Fully Flexible Valve Actuation System for Engine Test Cell|
CitationRadwan, M. and Shahin, M., "The Effect of Cowling on the Local Cooling Effectiveness of Engine Air-Cooled Cylinders," SAE Technical Paper 920790, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920790.
- Biermann, A.E., Pinkel-Heat Transfer from Finned Metal Cylinders in an Air Stream-N.A.C.A. report No.488.
- Ellerbrock, Biermann - Surface Heat Transfer Coefficients of Finned Cylinders - N.A.C.A. report No. 676.
- Schey and Ellerbrock-Blower Cooling of Finned Cylidners-N.A.C.A. report No.587.
- Sitkei, G. Heat Transfer and Thermal Loading in Internal Combustion Engines - Akadémiai kiadö, Budappest, ISBN 963 05 0097 3, 1973.
- Mackerle, J. - Air Cooled Motor Engines - Cleaver - Hume Press, London, 1961.
- Radwan, M.S. - On the Effectiveness of Finned Cylinder Lienrs and Heads in Sustaining Engine Local Thermal Load - Paper No. 91-ICE-17 Published in ASME Energy Sources Technology Conference and Exhibition, Jan. 20-24, 1991.