This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Shape Optimization of the Wire Cross Section of Helical Springs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the discussion of the optimal shape for the wire cross section of helical springs. Since the stress at the inner side of a coil is higher than that at the outer side in a helical spring with a round cross section, the mass may be saved through stress equalization by the improvement of the cross sectional shape. Shape optimization is performed by the modification of the cross sectional shape so as to minimize the mass of the helical spring under constraints such as spring rate, coil diameter, applied load and maximum design stress.
In the present analysis, stress distributions are calculated by the finite element analysis based on a stress function. In consequence, the optimized shapes are found to be almost oval and the mass is reduced by about 10% for the springs of small spring index.
|Technical Paper||Design and Testing of Ovate Wire Helical Springs|
|Technical Paper||An Expert System for Design and Selection of Mechanical Springs|
|Technical Paper||Effects on Rate Due to End Turns in Automotive Suspension
CitationImaizumi, T., Ohkouchi, T., and Ichikawa, S., "Shape Optimization of the Wire Cross Section of Helical Springs," SAE Technical Paper 920775, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920775.
- Ozone T. et al. “Precipitation Strengthened Spring Steel for Automotive Suspension” SAE Paper 820129
- Fuchs, H. O. Product Engineering 27 1969 86
- Nagaya, K. “Stress in a Helical Spring of Arbitrary Cross Section With Consideration of End Effects” ASME Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, and Reliability in Design 109 1987 289 301
- Sato, M. et al. “Stresses in a Coil Spring of Irregular Cross Section” Preprint in the Meeting of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (in Japanese) 1984 Nagoya, Japan
- Imaizumi, T. et al. “Shape Optimization of the Wire Cross Section of a Helical Spring (1st Report, Study on Stress Analysis and Optimum Design Method)” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (in Japanese) 57 1991 1695 1701
- Shimoseki, M. et al. “Analysis of Coil Springs by Means of Matrix Method” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (in Japanese) 45 1979 901 910
- Shimoseki, M. Hayasaka, Y. “Stress Analysis of Helical Springs” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (in Japanese) 48 1982 1774 1777
- Göhner, O. 1 1930 619 644
- Langhaar, H. L. “Torsion of Curved Beams of Rectangular Cross Section” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 19 1952 49 53
- Wahl. A. M. “Stress in Heavy Closely Coiled Helical Springs” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 17 1929 185 200
- Fung, Y.C. Foundations of Solid Mechanics Prentice-Hall, Inc. New Jersey 1965 279