This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydraulic Unit Injector for Passenger Car DI-Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The investigation of pumping efficiencies of classic FIE lead to the development of an hydraulic unit injector (HUI). In the HUI the pump plunger is not directly driven by a camshaft but by a distributor-type fuel-injection pump (VE-pump) which simultaneously operates the control.
The HUI was designed with a computer model. The differential piston increases the pressure by the multiplier 4. The VE-pump produces only 30 MPa for an injection pressure of 100 MPa. The high pressure chamber is filled through a small check valve.
Cavitation in the pipe is eliminated by a specially designed delivery valve and a preloaded spring for the differential piston.
A reduced needle shaft (3 mm diameter) leads to a very fast opening and closing of the nozzle, thus allowing to set the opening pressure to 40 MPa.
The HUI's were driven on the pump test bench up to the engine speed of 5000 rpm and reached a peak injection pressure of 120 MPa. On the engine test bench a bmep of 0.8 MPa at a smoke number 4 was reached with a 1.7 l naturally-aspirated engine. The minimum specific fuel consumption was 225 g/kWh. The ignition delays are 2-4°CA shorter than usual due to the small 0.17 mm nozzle holes. This results in a considerably lower NOx concentration in the exhaust gas. On the other hand there is still a high smoke emission at part load which cannot be explained:Smoke number = 2 at bmep = 0.3 MPa and n = 3000 rpm.
CitationSchweimer, G. and Bader, T., "Hydraulic Unit Injector for Passenger Car DI-Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 920628, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920628.
- Cichocki R. Cartellieri W. The Passenger Car Direct Injection Diesel - A Performance and Emissions Update SAE 810480
- van Basshuysen R. Stock D. Bauder R. 1989
- BOSCH Robert Technical Instructions In-Line Injection Pump Type PE and PF
- BOSCH Robert Technical Instructions Distributor Type Injection Pump
- Egger K. 1986
- Feldhaus R. 1988
- Melcher K. 1963
- Sobel D.R. Lehrach R.P.C. A Hydro-Mechanical Simulation of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems SAE 870432
- Schweimer G.W. Schindler K.-P. Oetting H. The Physics of Fuel Injection in Diesel Engines First EAEC Conference Strasbourg June 1987
- April 1986
- FORTRAN Code SPRITZE
- Yeaple Frank Fluid Power Design Handbook 240 M. Dekker Inc. N.Y. 1984
- Gear C.W. Numerical Initial Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1971
- van Basshuysen R. Steinwart J. Stähle H. Bauder A. 1989
- van Basshuysen R. Stock D. Bauder R. 1990