This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multidimensional Cycle Simulation of Flow Field, Combustion and Heat Transfer in a Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multidimensional cycle simulation is performed for a spark ignition engine for the entire four stroke cycle of intake, compression, expansion and exhaust stroke. Combustion is divided into ignition period and flame propagation period. Simple Arrhenius form is used in ignition and Bray-Moss model is used for turbulence controlled flame propagation. Heat flux is calculated by the wall function method in k-ε turbulence model. Grid is generated by a two dimensional CAD package. Results show proper trends for all flow variables, burning rate and heat flux.
CitationHuh, K., Kim, K., and Min, K., "Multidimensional Cycle Simulation of Flow Field, Combustion and Heat Transfer in a Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 920588, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920588.
- Borman, G. L. Mathematical simulation of internal combustion process and performance including comparison with experiments CAE report No. 954 University of Wisconsin Madison 1964
- Poulos S. G. Heywood, J. B. The effect of chamber geometry on spark ignition engine combustion SAE 830334 1983
- Amsden A. A. O'Rourke, P. J. Butler, T. D. KIVA-II: A computer program for chemically reactive flows with sprays Los Alamos National Laboratory Report No. LA-11560-MS
- Adamson, B. Gosman, A. D. Marooney, C. J. Nasseri, B. Theodoropoulos, T. A new unstructured-mesh method for flow prediction in IC engines COMODIA 90 Kyoto, Japan 1990
- Pinchon, P. Three dimensional modelling of combustion in a prechamber diesel engine SAE 890666 1989
- Libby P. A. Williams F. A. Turbulent reacting flows, Topics in Appl. Phys. 44 Springer-Verlag, New York 1980
- Huh, K. Y. Chang I-Ping Martin J. K. A comparison of boundary layer treatments for heat transfer in IC engines SAE 900252 1990
- Howarth, D. C. El Tahry S. H. Huebler, M. S. Chang, S. Multidimensional port-and-cylinder flow calculations for two- and four-valve-per-cylinder engines: influence of intake configuration on flow structure SAE 900257 1990