This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation, Via Simulation, of Vehicle Characteristics that Contribute to Steering Maneuver Induced Rollover
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The goal of this research was to find vehicle characteristics which may contribute to steering maneuver induced rollover accidents. This work involved studying vehicle handling dynamics using the Vehicle Dynamics Analysis, Non-Linear (VDANL) computer simulation. The simulation was used to predict vehicle responses while performing 28 different steering induced maneuvers for each of 51 vehicles. Various measures of vehicle response (metrics), such as response times, percent overshoots, etc., were computed for each vehicle from simulation predictions.
These vehicle directional response metrics were analyzed in an attempt to identify vehicle characteristics that might be good predictor/explanatory variables for vehicle rollover propensity. The metrics were correlated, using the Statistical Analysis System (SAS) software and logistic regression, with single vehicle accident data from the state of Michigan for the years 1986 through 1988.
The analysis found that the vehicle directional response metrics were not good predictors of the observed rollovers per single vehicle accident rate for each make/model. Stepwise logistic regression was performed including environmental and other, non-directional response, vehicle metrics in addition to the directional response metrics. The most significant directional response metric found was less significant than two environmental and four other vehicle metrics. This metric explained only a small portion of the observed variability in rollover rates.
CitationGarrott, W. and Heydinger, G., "An Investigation, Via Simulation, of Vehicle Characteristics that Contribute to Steering Maneuver Induced Rollover," SAE Technical Paper 920585, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920585.
- Chrstos, J.P. “An Evaluation of Static Rollover Propensity Measures” TRC of Ohio DOT HS 807 747 1991
- Technical Assessment Paper: Relationship Between Rollover and Vehicle Factors NHTSA Report, Docket 91-68- N01 1991
- Allen, R.W. Rosenthal, T.J. Szostak, H.T. “Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper 870495 1987
- Allen, R.W. Rosenthal, T.J. Szostak, H.T. “Analytical Modeling of Driver Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvering, Volume I: Technical Background,” DOT-HS-807-270 STI. 1988
- Allen, R.W. Rosenthal, T.J. Szostak, H.T. “Analytical Modeling of Driver Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvering, Volume IV: User's Guide for Linear Analysis, Nonlinear Simulation, Part Task Simulation,” DOT-HS-807-273 STI. 1988
- Allen, R.W. Szostak, H.T. Rosenthal, T.J. Johnston, D.E. “Test Methods and Computer Simulation for the Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling,” SAE Paper 861115 1986
- Heydinger, G. J. “Improved Simulation and Validation of Road Vehicle Handling Dynamics,” The Ohio State University Columbus, Ohio 1990
- Heydinger, G.J. Garrott, W.R. Chrstos, J.P. “The Importance of Tire Lag on Simulated Transient Vehicle Response,” SAE Paper 910235 1991
- Chrstos, J.P. Heydinger, G.J. “The Inclusion of Steering System Freeplay in Open-Loop Vehicle Dynamic Simulations,” 12th IAVSD Symposium Lyon, France August 1991
- Tapia, G.A. “Extended Tire Testing,” DOT6871-V-1 Calspan Corporation November 1983
- Allen, R.W. Szostak, H.T. Rosenthal, T.J. Klyde, D.H. Owens, K.J. “Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover,” NHTSA Document In Print STI. 1991
- Heydinger, G. J. “Vehicle Dynamics Simulation and Metric Computation for Comparison With Accident Data,” NHTSA Document In Print TRC of Ohio 1991
- Chrstos, J. P. “A Simplified Method for the Measurement of Composite Suspension Parameters,” SAE Paper 910232 1991
- International Organization for Standardization “Road Vehicles - Vehicle Dynamics and Road Holding Ability - Vocabulary” Draft International Standard, ISO/DIS 8855 1989
- Garrott, W. R. “Rollover Research Activities at the Vehicle Research and Test Center,” NHTSA Document In Progress 1991
- SAS Procedures Guide (Release 6.03 Edition) SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC 1988
- SAS Technical Report P-200 - SAS/STAT Software; CALIS and LOGISTIC Procedures (Release 6.04 Edition) SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC 1990