This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Spray Structure Investigation by Laser Diffraction and Sheet Illumination
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Intermittent and highly transient dense diesel sprays were investigated using laser diffraction and laser sheet illumination techniques to decipher the internal spray structure. Through careful experimental design, the unperturbed structure of the dense core region of a transient full cone diesel spray was observed for the first time. Diffraction measurements showed that larger droplets exist at the spray periphery and the Sauter mean diameter decreases from the periphery to the spray centerline. The results from both laser diffraction and 2-D imaging are inconsistent with the existence of an intact liquid core extending to a few hundred nozzle diameters. The intermittent and highly transient nature of diesel sprays ensures rapid and complete atomization within no more than twenty nozzle diameters. Due to high number density and multiple scattering, two dimensional images of diesel sprays obtained using excessive laser energy and camera exposure, or using line-of-sight techniques such as shadowgraphy, can mislead the observers into interpreting the saturated region of the image as an intact liquid core.
CitationGülder, Ö., Smallwood, G., and Snelling, D., "Diesel Spray Structure Investigation by Laser Diffraction and Sheet Illumination," SAE Technical Paper 920577, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920577.
- Kamimoto, T. Kobayashi, H. “Combustion Processes in Diesel Engines,” Progress in Energy & Combustion Science 17 163 189 1991
- Hiroyasu, H. “Experimental and Theoretical Studies on the Structure of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines,” Proc. ICLASS-91 17 31 1991
- Hiroyasu, H. Kadota, T. “Fuel Droplet Size Distribution in Diesel Combustion Chamber,” SAE Paper No. 740715 SAE Trans . 83 1984
- Henein, N. A. “Analysis of Pollutant Formation and Control and Fuel Economy in Diesel Engines,” Energy and Combustion Science Chigier N. Pergamon Press 283 325 1979
- Shimizu, I. Shimoda, M. Suzuki, T. Emori, Y. “A Light Scattering and Holographic Technique for Determining Droplet Size and Volume Density Distribution in Diesel Fuel Sprays.” SAE Paper No . 820 355 1982
- Yule, A. J. Filipovic, I. “On the Break-up Times and Lengths of Diesel Sprays,” Paper presented at Sprays and Aerosols' 91 University of Surrey September 30 October 2 1991 UK
- Yule, A. J. Mirza, M. R. Filipovic, I. “Correlations for Diesel Spray Penetration Including the Effects of the Break-up Zone,” Proc. ICLASS- 91 267 274 1991
- Chehroudi, B. Chen, S.-H. Bracco, F. V. Onuma, Y. “On the Intact Core of Full-Cone Sprays,” SAE Paper No . 850 126 1985
- Hiroyasu, H. Shimizu, M. Arai, M. “The Break-up of High Speed Jet in a High Pressure Gaseous Atmosphere,” Proc. ICLASS-82 69 1982
- Shimizu, M. Arai, M. Hiroyasu, H. “The Measurements of Break-up Length in High Speed Jets,” Trans. JSME 49 446 1983
- Arai, M. Tabata, M. Hiroyasu, H. Shimizu, M. “Disintegrating Process and Spray Characterization of Fuel Jet Injected by a Diesel Nozzle,” SAE Paper No . 840 275 1984
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai, M. “Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No . 900 475 1990
- Gülder, Ö. L. “Temporally and Spatially, Resolved Drop Sizing of Dense Diesel Sprays,” ASME Paper No . 87-FE-5 1987
- Hiroyasu, H. “Measurement of Spray Chracteristics and Fuel Vapor Concentrations in a Diesel Spray,” Heat and Mass Transfer in Gasoline and Diesel Engines Spalding D. B. Afgan N. H. 161 178 1989 Hemisphere Publishing Corp.
- Bower, G. R. Poster, D. E. “Investigation of the Characteristics of a High Pressure Injector,” SAE Paper No . 892 101 1989
- Cavaliere, A. Ragucci, R. D'Alessio, A. Noviello, C. “Analysis of Diesel Sprays Through Two-Dimensional Laser Light Scattering,” Twenty-Second Symposium (Int'l) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1973 1981 1989
- Ishikawa, M. Murakami, T. “Characteristics of Intermittent Sprays Generated by an Orifice Atomizer,” Proc. ICLASS-82 85 92 1982
- Beck, N. J. Barkhimer, R. L. Calkins, M. A. Johnson, W P. Waseloh, W. E. “Direct Digital Control of Electronic Unit Injectors,” SAE Paper No . 840 273 1984
- Gülder, Ö. L. “Multiple Scattering Effects in Dense Spray Sizing by Laser Diffraction,” Aerosol Science & Technology 12 570 577 1990
- Gülder, Ö. L. “Temporally and Spatially Resolved Drop Sizing of Dense Diesel Sprays,” Proc. 2nd ILASS-Americas Annual Meeting 78 81 May 18-20 1988 Pittsburgh, PA