This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LDA Characterization of Gas Flow in a Combustion Chamber of a Four-Stroke S.I. Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The swirl and axial components of gas velocity in the disk type combustion chamber of a fired and motored spark ignition engine were measured using a fiber-optic laser Doppler Anemometer (LDA). The engine was operated at a speed of 1500 rpm, a volumetric efficiency of ηυ = 0.5, an equivalence ratio ϕ = 1.4 and with an ignition timing of θig = 30°BTDC (MBT condition).
The gas velocities at 9 points on a diameter at mid-height of the combustion chamber were processed by the cycle-resolved frequency discrimination method. The bulk (mean) velocity was determined by frequency components lower than a cut-off frequency of 667Hz. The flame propagation pattern was detected by ionization probes set at 17 points on the piston.
The results indicate significant differences in flow characteristics between motored and fired conditions during the combustion period. At the fired operation the maximum value of turbulence intensity is 30% higher, the integral spatial scale and microscale are 60% and 40% larger respectively, the swirl ratio is 50% lower and the swirl center is 40% eccentrically shifted on the radius, comparing with the motored operation.
CitationObokata, T., Hashimoto, T., Gojuki, S., Karasawa, T. et al., "LDA Characterization of Gas Flow in a Combustion Chamber of a Four-Stroke S.I. Engine," SAE Technical Paper 920519, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920519.
SAE 1992 Transactions: Journal of Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
- Asanuma, T. Obokata, T. “Gas Velocity Measurements of a Motored and Firing Engine by Laser Anemometry,” SAE Paper No. 790096 1979
- Rask, R.B. “Laser Doppler Anemometer Measurements in an Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper No. 790094 1979
- Witze, P.O. Baritaud, T.A. “Influence of Combustion on Laser Doppler Velocimeter Signal Quality in a Spark Ignition Engine,” International Symposium on Laser Anemometry - FED 33 Dybbs A. Pfund P. A. ASME New York 3 1985
- Witze, P.O. Hall, M.J. Bennett, M.J. “Are Gas Velocities in a Motored Piston Engine Representative of the Pre-Ignition Fluid Motion in a Fired Engine?” Exp. in Fluids 8 104 107 1989
- Obokata, T. Hanada, N. Kurabayashi, T. “Velocity and Turbulence Measurements in a Combustion Chamber of S.I.Engine under Motored and Firing Operations by L.D.A. with Fiber-Optic Pick-Up” SAE Paper No. 870166 1987
- Obokata, T. Matsuo, N. Hirano, Y. “L. D. V. Measurements of Pipe Flows in a Small-Two-Cycle Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper No. 840425 1984
- Obokata, T. “Application of Laser Doppler Anemometer with Fiber Optics to an Internal Combustion Engine (Real Time Measurement of Fluctuating Flow Velocity in an Intake Pipe)” JSAE Review No. 16 20 26 1985
- Obokata, T. Hanada, N. Kuwahara, H. Kurabayashi, T. “Laser Doppler Anemometer Measurement of Gas Flow in the Wedge-Type Combustion Chamber of a Two-Cycle Spark Ignition Engine” Proc. I. Mech. E. Paper No. C48/88 213 223 1988
- Durst, F. Krebs, H. “Adaptive Optics for IC-Engine Measurements” Exp. in Fluids 4 232 240 1986
- Bopp, S. Durst, F. Tropea, C. “In-Cylinder Velocity Measurements with a Mobile Fiber Optic LDA System” SAE Paper No. 900055 1990
- Ikeda, Y. Hikosaka, M. Nakajima, T. “Scavenging Flow Measurements in a Fired Two-Stroke Engine By Fiber LDV” SAE Paper No. 910670 1991
- Hall, M.J. Bracco, F.V. Santavicca, D. A. “Cycle-Resolved Velocity and Turbulence Measurements in an IC Engine With Combustion” SAE Paper No. 860320 1986
- Witze, P.O. Martin, J.K. Borgnakke, C. “Conditionally-Sampled Velocity and Turbulence Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine” Combust. Sci. and Tech. 36 301 317 1984
- Cole, J. B. Swords, M.D. “An Investigation of the Ignition Process in a Lean-Burning Engine Using Conditionally Sampled Laser-Doppler Anemometry” SAE Paper No. 800043 1980
- Martin, J.K. Witze, P.O. Borgnakke, C. “Combustion Effects on the Preflame Flow Field in a Research Engine” SAE Paper No. 850122 1985
- Hall, M.J. Bracco, F.V. “A Study of Velocities and Turbulence Intensities Measured in Firing and Motored Engines” SAE Paper No. 870453 1987
- Foster, D.E. Witze P.O. “Two-Component Laser Velocimeter Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine” Combust. Sci. and Tech. 59 85 105 1988
- Namekawa, S. Ryu, H. Asanuma, T. “LDA Measurement of Turbulent Flow in a Motored and Firing Spark-Ignition Engine with a Horizontal Prechamber” SAE Paper No. 881636 1988
- Lorenz, M. Prescher, K. “Cycle Resolved LDV Measurements on a Fired SI-Engine at High Data Rates Using a Conventional Modular LDV-System” SAE Paper No. 900054 1990
- Wigley, G. Patterson, A.C. Renshaw, J. “Swirl Velocity Measurements in a Firing Production Diesel Engine by Laser Anemometry” Fluid mechanics of combustion systems Morel, T. Lohmann, R.P. Rackley, J.M. ASME New York 29 39 1981
- Spicher, U. Velji, A. Huynh, N.H. Kruse, F. “An Experimental Study of Combustion and Fluid Flow in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 872060 1987
- Pitcher, G. Wigley, G. Saffman, M. “Velocity and Drop Size Measurements in Fuel Sprays in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” Part. Part. Syst. Charact. No.7 160 168 1990
- Witze, P.O. Mendes-Lopes, J.M.C. “Direct Measurement of the Turbulent Burning Velocity in a Homogeneous-Charge Engine” SAE Paper No. 861531 1986
- Witze, P.O. Hall, M.J. Bennett, M.J. “Cycle-Resolved Measurements of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Correlated with Combustion Duration” SAE Paper No. 900023 1990
- Witze, P.O. Bopp, S.C. “Investigation of In-cylinder Fluid Motion Using a Head Gasket Instrumented with Ionization Probes” SAE Paper No. 910719 1990