This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Engine Cylinder Pressures from Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental test of a non-contact method for determining simultaneously the pressure in each cylinder of a reciprocating engine is reported. The method exploits a pattern recognition technique to compare crankshaft speed fluctuations to reference patterns in a knowledge base. The crankshaft speed is measured by timing the passage of gear teeth on the engine's flywheel.
The experiment was carried out on a Detroit Diesel Corporation 6V-92TA engine. The baseline operating condition was 75 percent rated load at 1200 rpm. The engine's six cylinders were individually under-fuelled from the baseline operating condition to achieve peak pressure reductions of 5 to 20 percent. The required reference angular velocity waveforms were obtained by measuring the effect of under-fuelling individual cylinders to reduce their peak pressures by 10 percent.
The experimental results show that the method evaluates the cylinder pressures with an RMS error of less than 6 percent. With further work. it is expected that a practical diagnostic tool could be developed for accurately determining cylinder pressures in diesel engines.
CitationBrown, T. and Neill, W., "Determination of Engine Cylinder Pressures from Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations," SAE Technical Paper 920463, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920463.
Diesel Combustion, Emissions, and Exhaust Aftertreatment
Number: SP-0931; Published: 1992-09-01
Number: SP-0931; Published: 1992-09-01
- Webster G. D. Neill W. S. Wintjes R. J. Carr P. Patel J. Ehrismann J. “Method of Measuring the Instantaneous Shaft Velocity of a Rotary Machine” May 1991
- lida K. Akishino K. Kido K. “IMEP Estimation from Instantaneous Crankshaft Torque Variation” SAE Paper No. 900617 Detroit February 1990
- Mauer G. F. Watts R. W. “On-Line Diagnostics on Combustion Engines by Noncontact Torque and Speed Measurements” SENSORS AND ACTUATORS 1989, SAE SP-771, Paper No. 890485 March 1989
- Fahs A. A. “Fault Analysis in Dynamic Systems with Application to Reciprocating Combustion Engines” Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan March 1985
- Sood A. K. Fahs A. A. Henein N. A. “Engine Fault Analysis: Part II -Parameter Estimation Approach” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics IE-32 4 301 307 November 1985
- Rizzoni G. “A Dynamic Model for the Internal Combustion Engine” The University of Michigan Ann Arbor 1986
- Ribbens W. B. Rizzoni G. “Applications of Precise Crankshaft Position Measurements for Engine Testing, Control and Diagnosis” SAE Paper No. 890885 Detroit March 1989
- Enikeev A. F. Borisenko A. N. Samonov V. P. Kiseleva G. M. “Diagnosis of a Diesel Generator by the Deviation in Shaft Speed” Izmeritel'naya Tekhnika 9 24 26 September 1988
- Citron S. J. O'Higgins J. E. Chen L. Y. “Cylinder by Cylinder Engine Pressure and Pressure Torque Waveform Determination Utilizing Speed Fluctuations” SAE Paper No. 890486 Detroit March 1989
- Mauer G. F. “On-Line Cylinder Fault Diagnostics for Internal Combustion Engines” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 37 3 221 226 June 1990
- Sood A. K. Friedlander C. B. Fahs A. A. “Engine Fault Analysis: Part I - Statistical Methods” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics IE-32 4 294 300 November 1985
- Sood A. K. Tseng G. “A Sensor Driven Approach to Engine Fault Analysis” IEEE Workshop on Automotive Applications of Electronics 15 22 1986
- Jewitt T. H. B. Lawton B. “The Use of Speed Sensing for Monitoring the Condition of Military Vehicle Engines” Proc Instn Mech Engrs 200 D1 45 51 May 1985
- Rezeka S. F. Henein N. A. “A Diagnostic Technique for the Identification of Misfiring Cylinder(s)” SAE Paper No. 870546 Detroit February 1987
- Rizzoni G. “Diagnosis of Individual Cylinder Misfires By Signature Analysis of Crankshaft Speed Fluctuations” SAE Paper No. 890884 Detroit March 1989
- Plapp G. Klenk M. Moser W. “Methods of On-Board Misfire Detection” SAE Paper No. 900232 Detroit February 1990
- Ribbens W. B. Rizzoni G. “Onboard Diagnosis of Engine Misfires” SAE Paper No. 901768 Dearborn September 1990