This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Sheet Metal Stamping Classification System for Product/Process Design and Material Specification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes a system currently under development, intended to be the spine for organizing an open-ended knowledge-based system for stampings within the sheet metal industry. The system is designed for those not necessarily expert in plasticity and strain theory, as well as applications where lead time is of prime importance. The objectives of the system are to develop:
- ia common vocabulary for BASIC SHAPES and DEFORMATION MODES
- iian open-ended filing system for the organization of the knowledge i.e. the documentation of solutions and procedures used, as well as assessing historical data
- iiia procedure for deriving the FIRST FORM SHAPE and the number of forming stages and
- iva system for the assessment of forming severity, force and energy calculations, material selection, tribological requirements and process planning.
The system is designed for Product Designers, Estimators, Process Designers, Materials Selection Specialists, and others in peripheral areas of sheet metal stampings.
CitationAboutour, T., Hook, T., Kolodziejski, J., and Karima, M., "A Sheet Metal Stamping Classification System for Product/Process Design and Material Specification," SAE Technical Paper 920430, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920430.
- Eshel, G.E. Barash, M.M. Johnson, W. “Automatic Generation of Process Outlines of Forming And Machining Processes” Purdue University Report 1986
- Kolodziejski, J. Misiak, J. “Computer Aided Sequence Design for Forming Of Axisymmetrical Shapes” Proc. 15th IDDRG Congress Dearborn Mich.,USA 1988
- Caviasso, G. Fontans, R. Marinsek, G. Guida, M. Porraro, G. Strona, P.P. “Sensitivity Analysis of Deep Drawing Process Control Parameters” Proc. IDDRG Working Group Meeting WG I Pisa, Italy 1991
- Strona, P.P. “Parameter Design” Methods Applied to Problems of Design in Automotive Industry ATA 4 April 1990
- Kubawara, T. Jimma, T. Miyazaki, K. “A Novel Process Design for Multiple Draw of Rectangular Shells” Adv. Techn. of Plasticity 3 1990
- Duda, S. Shah, S. “Stretch Flanges: Formability and Trim line Development” J. Materials Shaping Tech. 6 2 1988
- Woo, D.M. “On the Complete Solution of a Deep-Drawing Problem” Int. J. Mech. Science 10 1968
- Karima, M. “Blank Development and Tooling Design for Drawn Parts Using a Modified Slip Line Approach” Proceedings of ASME Winter Annual 141 152 1988
- Assempoor, A. Karima, M. “Blank Development and Metal Flow Analysis for Multi-Stage Drawing of Box-Shaped Stampings” SAE Paper No. 910516 Warrendale, PA 1991
- Karima, M. “From Stamping Engineering to an Alternative Computer-Assisted Environment” SAE Paper No. 910770 Warrendale, PA 1991
- Hyde, W. “Improving Productivity by Classification, Coding, and Data Base Standardization” Marcel Dexter Inc N.Y 1981
- Lange, K. “Handbook of Metalforming” Lange Kurt McGraw - Hill Book Co. New York 1982
- DIN Standards 8582-8587-Fertigungsverfahren, Umformen
- Sachs, G. “Principles and Methods of Sheet Metal Fabricating” Reinhold, New York 1958
- Thomsen, E.G. Yange, C.T. Kobayashi, S. “Mechanics of Plastic Deformation in Metal Processing” Macmillan, New York 1965
- Tan, S. Yu, K. Zheng, W. Gong, Z. “Classification of Stampings in CA141 Truck Production Practice” Proc. IDDRG Working Group Meeting WG I Pisa, Italy 1991
- Kokkonen, V. VOLVO
- Roll, K. Mercedes-Benz Co.
- Hayashi, H. Riken Institute
- Strakarjan, W. Die Voraussage des Versagensfalls beim Tiefziehen Rechteckiger Teile University of Hannover Germany 1982
- Meinhardt, J. BMW
- “Problem Solving Tools, Techniques and Principles for Metal Stampings” Forming Technologies Inc. Oakville, Ont. March 1990
- Yoshida, K. Miyauchi, K. “Experimental Studies of Material Behaviour as Related to Sheet Metal Forming” Plenum Press New York-London 1978
- Karima, M. Tse, W. “Process Signatures-Product and Process Perspectives” Proc. 16th IDDRG Congress Borlange, Sweden 1990