This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Automotive Audio Systems Using the Acoustic Transfer Function Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The small, irregular volume of the typical automotive cabin can induce large, unpredictable variations in the low frequency response (<200 Hz) of woofers in the audio system. Acoustic transfer function measurements of these effects, made using a reciprocity technique, show these variations at the listener's position. The response of a subwoofer design at any position in the vehicle can be predicted and optimized through computer aided convolution of the woofer response and the acoustic transfer function. A commercially available loudspeaker acoustic simulator, SPEAK, was used for woofer system design and simulation in an automobile.
|Technical Paper||Improvements to Vehicle Interior Noise Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Sound Decomposition - A Key to Improved Sound Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Digital Simulator for Automotive Sound System Design|
CitationStratman, J., "Design of Automotive Audio Systems Using the Acoustic Transfer Function Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 920389, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920389.
- Salava T. “Acoustic Load and Transfer Functions in Rooms at Low Frequencies,” J. Audio Eng. Soc. 36 763 775 1988 June
- Salava T. “Acoustic Load and Transfer Functions in Listening Rooms,” 82nd Convention of the Audio Engineering Society March 1987
- Salava T. “Computer Simulations of Listening Rooms at Low Frequencies,” 84th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society, J. Audio Eng. Soc. (Abstracts) 36 391 1988 May
- Bullock J. D. “A Theoretical Look at Subwoofer Operation in Rooms,” 87th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society October 1989
- Succi G. P. “The Interior Acoustic Field of An Automobile Cabin,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 81 1688 1694 1987 June
- Allison R. F. Berkovitz R. “The Sound Field in Home Listening Rooms,” J. Audio Eng. Soc. 20 459 469 1972 July/Aug.
- Allison R. F. Berkovitz R. “The Sound Field in Home Listening Rooms, II” J. Audio Eng. Soc 24 14 19 1976 Jan./Feb.
- Allison R. F. “The Influence of Room Boundaries on Loudspeaker Power Output,” J. Audio Eng. Soc 22 314 320 1974 June
- Groh A. R. “High-Fidelity Sound System Equalization by Analysis of Standing Waves,” J. Audio Eng. Soc 22 795 799 1974 Dec.
- Ballagh K. O. “Optimum Loudspeaker Placement Near Reflecting Planes,” J. Audio Eng. Soc 31 931 935 1983 Dec.
- Jamnia M. A. Rajakumar C. “An Acoustic Design Optimization Technique for Automobile Audio Systems,” Audio Systems for the Automobile. SP-778, SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 27 March 3 1989
- Yanagawa H. “Low-Frequency Characteristics Of Vehicle Interior Sound Fields,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 86 2022 2025 1989 Nov.
- Stratman J. “Computer-Aided Application of Acoustic Transfer Function Measurement In Automotive Audio System Design,” 91st Convention of the Audio Engineering Society October 1991
- Schroeder M. R. “Frequency- Correlation Functions of Frequency Responses in Rooms.” J. Acoust. Soc Am. 34 1819 1962 Dec.
- Salava T. “Low-Frequency Performance of Listening Rooms for Steady-State and Transient Signals,” 88th convention of the Audio Engineering Society March 1990
- Fielder L. D. Benjamin E. M. “Subwoofer Performance for Accurate Reproduction of Music,” J. Audio Eng. Soc 36 443 455 1988 June
- Geddes E. R. “An Analysis of the Low-Frequency Sound Field in Nonrectangular Enclosures using the Finite Element Method,” Pennsylvania State University 1982
- Milner J. P. Bernhard R. J. “An Investigation of the Modal Characteristics of Nonrectangular Reverberation Rooms,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 85 772 779 1989 Feb.
- Anthony D. K. Elliot S. J. “A Comparison of Three Methods of Measuring the Volume Velocity of an Acoustic Source,” J. Audio Eng. Soc 39 355 366 1991 May
- Beranek L. L. Acoustics McGraw-Hill New York 1954 American Institute of Physics, Inc. New York 1988
- Kinsler L. E. Frey A. R. Fundamentals Of Acoustics 3rd John Wiley & Sons New York 1982
- Fincham L. R. “The Subjective Importance of Uniform Group Delay at Low Frequencies,” J. Audio Eng. Soc. 33 436 439 1985 June
- Fincham L. R. “A Bandpass Loudspeaker Enclosure,” 63rd Convention of the Audio Engineering Society, J. Audio Eng. Soc.(Abstracts) 33 1010 1985 Dec.
- Geddes E. R. “An Introduction to Band-Pass Loudspeaker Systems,” J. Audio Eng. Soc. 37 308 342 1989 May
- Mergerand J. “The Third Dimension: Symmetrically Loaded,” Speaker Builder 6 1988 29 35 64 1 1989 27 34 64
- Adams G. “Time Dependence of Loudspeaker Power Output in Small Rooms,” J. Audio Eng. Soc 37 203 209 1989 April
- Blind H. F. Dorfstatter W. Geddes E. R. “In Pursuit Of Elusive Loudspeaker Parameters,” 78th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society May 1985
- Small R. H. “Simplified Loudspeaker Measurements at Low Frequencies,” J. Audio Eng. Soc. 20 28 33 1972 Jan/Feb
- Geddes E. R. Phillips A. “Efficient Loudspeaker Linear and Nonlinear Parameter Estimation,” 91st Convention of the Audio Engineering Society October 1991