This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simultaneous Computation of the External Flow around a Car Body and the Internal Flow Through its Engine Compartment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Both the external and internal flows of cars are simulated simultaneously. A third-order upwind-difference scheme is used in these simulations. Computational grids are generated by a multi-block transformation and a trans-finite method. Engine compartments are modeled by grid systems but the heat exchanger is simulated as a pressure loss proportional to the dynamic pressure of the flow passing through it.
First, the flow for a very simple test model with no wheels and nothing in its engine compartment is simulated and compared with experimental results in order to validate a simulation method for the engine compartment. Pressure distributions on the inner surfaces agree very well with measured values, while pressure distributions on the external surfaces show reasonable agreement except for the roof end and the leading edge of the floor. The predicted drag coefficient is 7% larger than the experimental value.
This method is next applied to a prototype car. A grid system is generated including an engine block, a transmission, an air-cleaner and suspension arms. Both the drag coefficient and the airflow rate through the radiator are calculated. These values are compared with experimental results and the agreement is good. We conclude that the present method is quite useful for predicting and optimizing both the drag coefficient and the airflow rate through the radiator.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Oil Cooler Application Testing and Nomenclature|
|Technical Paper||An Improved Cooling System for Military and Heavy Duty Vehicles|
|Journal Article||An Experimental Characterization of Automatic Transmission Fluid Flowing Through Air Cooled Microchannel Heat Exchanger|
CitationOno, K., Himeno, R., Fujitani, K., and Uematsu, Y., "Simultaneous Computation of the External Flow around a Car Body and the Internal Flow Through its Engine Compartment," SAE Technical Paper 920342, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920342.
- Shaw, C.T. Simcox, S. The Numerical Prediction of the Flow Around a Simplified Vehicle Geometry Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Supercomputing Applications in the Automotive Industry Seville, Spain October 1988 A Cray Research, Inc. 219 232 1988
- Hutchings, B.J. Pien, W.S. Computation of Three Dimensional Vehicle Aerodynamics Using FLUENT/BFC Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Supercomputing Applications in the Automotive Industry Seville, Spain October 1988 A Cray Research, Inc. 233 256 1988
- Kawaguchi, K. Hashiguchi, M. Yamasaki, R. Kuwahara, K. Computational Study of the Aerodynamic Behavior of a Three-Dimensional Car Configuration SAE paper, 890598 1989
- Kawamura, T. Takami, H. Kuwahara, K. Computation of High Reynolds Number Flow around a Circular Cylinder with Surface Roughness Fluid Dynamic Research 1 1986 145 162
- Kawamura, T. Kuwahara, K. Direct Simulation of a Turbulent Inner Flow by Finite-Difference Method AIAA paper, AIAA-85-0376 1985
- Himeno, R. Fujitani, K. Kuwahara, K. Finite-Difference Analysis of Two-Dimensional Flow around an Automobile Transactions of the JSME 486 356 362 1986
- Fujitani, K. Himeno, R. Takagi, M. Unsteady 3-D Calculation of Flow around a Car and its Visualization, Automotive Simulation Proceedings of Second European Cars/Trucks Symposium, Schliersee, FRG May 1989 Heller Moshe R. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1989
- Himeno, R. Takagi, M. Fujitani, K. Tanaka, H. Numerical Analysis of the Airflow around Automobiles Using Multi-block Structured Grids SAE Paper 900319 1990
- Kuriyama, T. Numerical Simulation on Three Dimensional Flow and Heat Transfer in the Engine Compartment Using “STREAM” Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Supercomputing Applications in the Automotive Industry Seville, Spain October 1988 A Cray Research, Inc. 283 292 1988
- Shibata, S. Hosaka, S. Fujitani, K. Himeno, R. A Numerical Analysis Method for Optimizing Inter-cooler Design in the Vehicle Development Process SAE Paper 900080 1990
- Aoki, K. Numerical Simulation of Three Dimensional Engine Compartment Air Flow in FWD Vehicles SAE Paper 900086 1990
- Roache, P. J. Computational Fluid Dynamics Hermora Publishers 1976
- Sawada, K. Takanashi, S. A Numerical Investigation on Wing/Nacelle Interfaces of USB Configuration AIAA paper, AIAA-87-0455 1987
- Thompson, J. F. Warsi, Z. A. U. Mastin, C. W. Numerical Grid Generation: Foundations and Applications North-Holland 1985
- Fujitani, K. Himeno, R. A CAD data oriented grid generation system and its application to automotive aerodynamics, Numerical Grid Generation in Computational Fluid Dynamics and Related Fields Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Numerical Grid Generation in Computational Fluid Dynamics and Related Fields Barcelona, Spain 1991 Arcilla A.S.- Hauser J. Eiseman P.R. Thompson J.F. North-Holland, Amsterdam 1991
- Ogata, N. Iida, N. Fujii, Y. Nissan's Low-Noise Full-Scale Wind Tunnel SAE Paper 870250 1987