This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of the Scavenging and Combustion Processes in a Two-Stroke Cycle Research Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Experimental investigations of the scavenging, mixture preparation and combustion processes occurring in a blower-scavenged, direct-injected, two-stroke cycle research engine are presented. As the delivery ratio is increased, combustion performance deteriorates rapidly. We used a variety of diagnostic techniques to investigate the causes of this behavior, including pressure measurements, schlieren and Mie-scattering flow visualization, and ionization-probe determination of flame-arrival times. By comparison with premixed-charge operation of the engine, we conclude that the improved scavenging that accompanies increased delivery ratio results in cooler gas temperatures that inhibit fuel vaporization, leading to a highly nonhomogeneous fuel-air mixture at the time of combustion.
|Technical Paper||Intake Port Flow in a Fired Two-Stroke Engine|
|Journal Article||An Experimental Study on Diesel Spray Injection into a Non-Quiescent Chamber|
|Technical Paper||Time Resolved Scavenging Analysis for Two-Stroke Engines|
CitationBopp, S., Cousyn, B., Green, R., and Witze, P., "Experimental Study of the Scavenging and Combustion Processes in a Two-Stroke Cycle Research Engine," SAE Technical Paper 920183, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920183.
- Ferguson, C. R. Internal Combustion Engines, Applied Thermosciences John Wiley & Sons 1986
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Co. 1988
- Siuru, W. D. “The Australian Two-Stroke,” Mechanical Engineering 130 July 1988
- Green, R. M. Cousyn, B. J. “An Optical Research Engine for the Study of Two-Stroke Cycle Engine In-Cylinder Phenomena,” COMODIA 90 Intl. Symp. on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines Kyoto, Japan 1990
- Blair, G. P. The Basic Design of Two-Stroke Engines Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale 1990
- Schechter, M. M. Levin, M. B. “Air-Forced Fuel Injection System for 2-Stroke D.I. Gasoline Engine,” SAE Paper No. 910664 1991
- Emerson, J. Felton P. G. Bracco, F. V. “Structure of Sprays from Fuel Injectors, Part III: The Ford Air-Assisted Fuel Injector,” Trans. SAE 99 1074 1990
- Rassweiler, G. M. Withrow, L. “Motion Pictures of Engine Flames Correlated with Pressure Cards,” Trans. SAE 42 185 1938
- Witze, P. O. “Cycle-Resolved Multipoint Ionization Probe Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine,” Trans. SAE 98 2074 1989