This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analytical Model to Study the Infant Seat/Airbag Interaction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As passenger-side airbags are introduced into the vehicle fleet, consideration must be given to the possible interaction of the airbag with children and child restraint systems. Specifically, a rear-facing infant seat may represent an out-of-position occupanVrestraint system in relation to the deploying airbag due to the limited distance between the infant seat and the instrument panel. Current safety standards for child restraints do not address this issue and the potential for serious injury mandates further analysis. Simulation studies can assist in understanding the behavior of such interaction and help to reduce the number of tests to evaluate infant seat performance. New developments in simulation technology offer state-of-the-art tools to simulate a deploying airbag using a finite element model while the occupant, infant seat and vehicle interior are simulated with linked rigid body systems. This paper identifies the effects of selected airbag and belt restraint parameters on the performance of the infanvinfant seat system and discusses assumptions and considerations to perform this simulation. Discussion also includes concerns about seat restraint requirements, limitations for infant seat location, and bag deployment directions.
CitationDer Avanessian, H., Ridella, S., Mani, A., and Krishnaswarny, P., "An Analytical Model to Study the Infant Seat/Airbag Interaction," SAE Technical Paper 920126, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920126.
Analytical Modeling and Occupant Protection Technologies
Number: SP-0906; Published: 1992-02-01
Number: SP-0906; Published: 1992-02-01
- Automotive News: 1991 Market Data Book Crain Communications, Inc. Detroit, MI. 84 1991
- General Estimates System 1989: A Review of Information on Police-Reported Traffic Crashes in the United States Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C. 96 1990
- Datta, T.K. Guzek P Restraint System Use in 19 U.S. Cities 1989 Annual Report Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C. 1 73 1990
- Finn, P. Beauregard, M. Macek, S. Rodriguez, A. Installation of child safety seats in selected 1988-1989 model year automobiles 1 27 1989
- Klein, T.M. Van Dyke, J. Surti, J. Waly, M. An investigation of the increase in child passenger fatalities since 1984 Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C. 1 11 1990
- Transporting Your Child Safely, Consumer Information Bulletin. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, D.C. 1 4 1989
- Planning Document on Potential Standard 213 Upgrade; Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Child Restraint Systems 1 20 1991
- Wismans, J. Maltha, J. Melvin., J.W. Stalnaker, R.L. Child restraint evaluation by experimental and mathematical simulation Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Stapp Car Crash Conference . Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 791017 Warrendale, PA. 381 415 1979
- Wismans, J. Driever, J.P.M. Huijskens, C.G. Trends in Child Passenger Safety Proceedings of the International Conference on the Biokinetics of Impact , Workshop on Future in Child Restraints Stockholm 1 9 1989
- MADYMO User Manual 3D, Version 4.3. TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute Delft, The Netherlands 1991
- Child Restraint Systems; Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213
- Hoffman, R. Ulrich, D. Protard, J.-B. Wester, H. Jaehm, N. Scharnhorst, T. Finite element analysis of occupant restraint system interaction with PAM-CRASH Proceedings of the Thirty Fourth Stapp Car Crash Conference . Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 902325 Warrendale, PA. 289 300 1990
- Mertz, H.J. Hodgson, V.R. Thomas, L.M. Nyquist, G.W. An assessment of compressive neck loads under injury-producing conditions The Physician and Sports Medicine 6 95 106 1978
- Janssen, E.G. Nieboer, J.J. Vershut, R. Huijskens, C.G. Cervical spine loads induced in restrained child dummies Proceedings of the Thirty-fifth Stapp Car Crash Conference . Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 912919 Warrendale, PA. 447 464 1991