This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Imaging of Laser-induced Incandescence, Elastic Scattering, and Flame Luminosity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A combusting plume in an optically accessible direct-injection diesel engine was studied using simultaneous 2-D imaging of laser-induced incandescence (LII) and natural flame luminosity, as well as simultaneous 2-D imaging of LII and elastic scattering. Obtaining images simultaneously via two different techniques makes the effects of cycle-to-cycle variation identical for both images, permitting the details of the simultaneous images to be compared. Since each technique provides unique information about the combusting diesel plume, more can be learned from comparison of the simultaneous images than by any of the techniques alone.
Among the insights gained from these measurements are that the combusting plume in this engine has a general pattern of high soot concentration towards the leading edge with a lower soot concentration extending upstream towards the injector. Also, the soot particles are found to be larger towards the leading edge of the plume than in the upstream region. Another significant result is that no liquid fuel droplets were found in or near the combusting region of the plume indicating that, in this engine at these conditions, the liquid has evaporated and the fuel in the combustion zone is gas phase.
The simultaneous images also permit a direct comparison of the capabilities of LII and elastic scattering for diesel-engine soot distribution studies. In addition, the emission spectrum of LII in the engine is reported, and shown to consist only of broadband emission which resembles that of a gray body at 4500 K.
CitationDec, J., "Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Imaging of Laser-induced Incandescence, Elastic Scattering, and Flame Luminosity," SAE Technical Paper 920115, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920115.
SAE 1992 Transactions: Journal of Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
- zur Loye, A.O. Siebers, D.L. Dec, J.E. “2-D Soot Imaging in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using Laser-Induced Incandescence,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 90 523 528 1990
- Dec, J.E. zur Loye, A.O. Siebers, D.L. “Soot Distribution in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using 2-D Laser-Induced Incandescence Imaging SAE paper 910224 1991 SAE Transactions
- Lee, W. Solbrig, C.E. Litzinger, T.A. Santoro, R.J. Santavicca, D.A. “Planar Laser Light Scattering for the In-Cylinder Study of Soot in a Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 902125 1990
- Shioji, M. Sakakibara, N. Ikegami, M. “Characterization of Soot Clouds and Turbulent Mixing in Diesel Flames by Image Analysis,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 90 613 618 1990
- Ragouts, It. Cavaliere, A. D'Alessio, A. “Laser Assisted Diagnostics for Characterization of Condensed Phases During Diesel Combustion Processes,” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines, COMODIA 90 371 376 1990
- Won, Y.-H. Kamimoto, T. Kobayashi, H. Kosaka, H. “2-D Soot Visualization in Unsteady Spray Flame by means of Laser Sheet Scattering Technique,” SAE paper 910223 1991
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. “A Study of the Time and Space Resolved Measurement of Flame Temperature and Soot Concentration in a D.I. Diesel Engine by the Two-Color Method,” SAE paper 790491 1979
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsucoka, S. “Formation and Oxidation Processes of Soot Particulates in a D.I. Diesel Engine - An Experimental Study via the Two-Color Method,” SAE paper 820464 1982
- zur Loye, A.O. Siebers, D.L. McKinley, T.L. Ng, H.K. Primus, R.J. “Cycle-Resolved LDV Measurements in a Motored Diesel Engine and Comparison with K-ε Model Predictions,” SAE paper 890618 1989
- Melton, L.A. “Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser Heating,” Applied Optics 23 13 2201 2208 1984
- Eckbreth, A.C. “Effects of Laser Modulated Particulate Incandescence on Raman Scattering Diagnostics,” Journal of Applied Physics 48 11 4473 4479 1977
- Dasch, C.J. “Continuous-Wave Probe Laser Investigation of Laser Vaporization of Small Soot Particles in a Flame,” Applied Optics 23 2209 2215 1984
- BerIman, I.B. Fluorescence Spectra of Aromatic Molecules Second Academic Press 1971
- Heywood, J.B Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 497 501 McGraw-Hill 1988
- Kerker, M. The Scattering of Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation 325 Academic Press 1969