This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Operation of a New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Suspension Parameter Measurement Device Model 7547 (SPMD Model 7547) has been designed and built for the purpose of measuring displacements and forces acting on the road wheels of a vehicle. These displacements and forces may be due to movement of the vehicle body (kinematic), forces occurring in the plane of the road (compliance), or due to movement of the steering wheel (steering).
The SPMD Model 7547 tests the entire vehicle as a unit and provides a “black box” determination of the suspension characteristics in terms of input/output relationships. This data can then be used in the simulation of the performance of light cars and trucks.
CitationCoovert, D., Chen, H., and Guenther, D., "Design and Operation of a New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device," SAE Technical Paper 920048, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920048.
- Ellis, J.R. “A Study of Suspension Mechanisms” Cranfield Institute of Technology ASAE Report #5 1969
- Ellis, J.R. Butler, D.M. “Analysis and Measurement of the Relative Motions Between the Road Wheels of a Vehicle and the Road Surface” Proceeding of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers 186 57 72
- Garrott, W.R. Ellis, J.R. Bell, S.C. Burns, S.C. Liao, Y.C. “VRTC's Light Vehicle Stability & Control Research Program Report No. 1: The Suspension Parameter Measurement Device” NTIS 1986
- Ellis, J.R. Burns, S.C. Garrott, W.R. Bell, S.C. “The Design of a Suspension Parameter Measurement Device” SAE Paper 870576 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23-27 1987
- Bell, S.C. Ellis, J.R. Garrott, W.R. Liao, Y.C. “Suspension Testing Using the Suspension Parameter Measurement Device” SAE Paper 870577 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 23-27 1987
- Chrstos, J.P. “A Simplified Method for the Measurement of Composite Suspension Parameters” SAE Paper 910232 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 25 March 1 1991
- Nedley, A.L. Wilson, W.J. “A New Laboratory Facility for Measuring Vehicle Parameters Affecting Understeer and Brake Steer” SAE Paper 720473
- Love, M.L. “Final Report on Task 6 of Contract DOT-FH-11-9158” Texas A&M Research Foundation Report 1985
- Winkler, C.B. Hagan, J.R. “A Test Facility for the Measurement of Heavy Vehicle Suspension Parameters” SAE Paper 800906
- “Procedures for Measuring Vehicle and Suspension Parameters. Draft Copy of Recommended Practice” 1985 SAE Vehicle Dynamics Committee
- Chen, H.F. Coovert, D.A. Guenther, D.A. “Suspension Testing on the New-Type Suspension Parameter Measurement Device” 1992 SAE Paper