This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of High-Boost Turbocharging on Combustion Characteristics and Improving Its Low Engine Speed Torque
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the experimental studies of turbocharged and intercooled diesel engines with particular emphasis on combustion characteristics following increase of boost pressure. Through these studies, it has become possible to determine the optimum air quantity for minimizing fuel consumption at each engine speed range under the restrictive conditions of NOx emission, exhaust smoke and maximum cylinder pressure.
Discussed also is the lack of air quantity in the low engine speed range of high-boost turbocharged diesel engines. Various turbocharging systems to improve air quantity in this speed range are introduced herein. Practically the engine performance of conventional turbocharging, waste gate control turbocharging and variable geometry turbocharging are discussed from the viewpoint of torque recovery in the low engine speed range.
CitationSugihara, H., Aoyagi, Y., Endo, S., Otani, T. et al., "Effects of High-Boost Turbocharging on Combustion Characteristics and Improving Its Low Engine Speed Torque," SAE Technical Paper 920046, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920046.
- Suzuki T. et al. “Development of a Higher Boost Turbocharged Diesel Engine for Better Fuel Economy in Heavy Vehicles” SAE Paper 830379 1983
- Sato A. et al. “Advanced Boost-up in Hino EP100-II Turbocharged and Charge Cooled Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 870298 1987
- Endo S. et al. “An Improvement of Pumping Loss of High Boosted Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 885102 1988
- Matsubara H. et al. “Superior Charging Technology by Screwcharger and High Technology Turbocharger for Automotive Use” SAE Paper 890455 1989
- Hashimoto T. et al. “ISUZU New 9.8L Diesel Engine with Variable Geometry Turbocharger” SAE Paper 860460 1986
- Bruffel W. K. et al. “Axial Radial Turbocharger for Automotive Applications” SAE Paper 900357 1990
- Tajima S. et al. “Development of Sequential Twin Turbo System for Rotary Engine” SAE Paper 910624 1991
- Izumi S. et al. “Development of Two-stage Turbocharging” Transactions of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 44 377 239 249 Jan. 1978
- Sasaki Y. “Two-stage Turbocharging for Small Highspeed Diesel Engine” Internal Combustion Engine 23 301 19 24 Dec. 1984
- Endo S. et al. “Improvement of Performance for Truck Diesel Engine by Multi Valve System” Proceedings of The Sixth International Pacific Confernce on Automotive Engineering 1 91 102 1991