This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Engine Cold Starting: Combustion Instability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion instability is investigated during the cold starting of a single cylinder, direct injection, 4-stroke-cycle, air-cooled diesel engine. The experiments covered fuels of different properties at different ambient air temperatures and injection timings. The analysis showed that the pattern of misfiring (skipping) is not random but repeatable. The engine may skip once (8-stroke-cycle operation) or twice (12-stroke-cycle operation) or more times. The engine may shift from one mode of operation to another and finally run steadily on the 4-stroke cycle. All the fuels tested produced this type of operation at different degrees. The reasons for the combustion instability were analyzed and found to be related to speed, residual gas temperature and composition, accumulated fuel and ambient air temperature.
CitationHenein, N., Zahdeh, A., Yassine, M., and Bryzik, W., "Diesel Engine Cold Starting: Combustion Instability," SAE Technical Paper 920005, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920005.
- Birdi, P.S. “General Correlation of the Ignition Delay Period in Diesel Engines,” Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan 1971
- Galliot, F. Cheng, W.K. Cheng, C. Sztenderowicz, M. Heywood, J. B. Collings, N. “In cylinder Measurement of Residual Gas Concentration in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE paper no. 900485 1990
- Gardiner, D.P. Rao, V.K. Bardon, M.F. Battista, V. “Improving the Cold Start Combustion in Methanol Fueled Spark Ignition Engines by Means of Prompt EGR,” SAE paper no. 910377 1991
- Garner, F.H. Morton, F. Saundy, J.B. J. Inst. Petrol. 47 175 183 1961
- Henein, N.A. Lee, C-S “Autoignition and Combustion of Fuels in Diesel Engines under Low Ambient Temperatures,” SAE paper no. 861230 1986
- Itoh, Yasuhiko “The Characteristics of Diesel Combustion and the Mechanisms of misfiring under Low Ambient Temperatures,” M.S. Thesis Wayne State University 1990
- Kobayashi, A. Kurashima, A. Endo, S. “Analysis of Cold Start Combustion in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE paper no. 840106 1984
- Leppard, W.R. “The Chemical Origin of Fuel Octane Sensitivity,” SAE paper no. 902137 1990
- Phatak, R. Nakamura, “Cold Startability of Open-Chamber Direct- Injection Diesel Engines - P4art I: Measurement Technique and Effects of Compression Ratio,” SAE paper no. 831335 1983
- Phatak, R. Nakamura “Cold Startability of Open-Chamber Direct- Injection Diesel Engines - Part II: Combustion Chamber Design and Full Spray Geometry and Additional Air and Glow Plug as a Starting Aid,” SAE paper no. 831396 1983
- Zahdeh, Akram R. “Diesel Engine Startability and White Smoke Formation under Cold Temperature Conditions,” Wayne State University 1990