This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lateral Load Sensing Hybrid III Head
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
Recent cadaver studies have provided data for the development of force and stiffness characteristics of the side of the human head. A Hybrid III Anthropomorphic Test Dummy (ATD) head was modified to allow direct measurement of impact forces on the parietal and temporal regions by recasting the upper left half of the skull and installing triaxial piezoelectric force transducers. Dynamic impact tests of this modified head were conducted and force/stiffness characteristics for the temporal and parietal areas were compared to existing data on cadaver subjects. It was found that the existing Hybrid III vinyl skin satisfactorily represents the force/stiffness characteristics of the human head in these areas. This modified Hybrid III dummy head was also impacted against typical interior components likely to be contacted during a side impact. The force and acceleration test results are presented.
CitationBenson, B., Perl, T., Smith, G., and Planath, I., "Lateral Load Sensing Hybrid III Head," SAE Technical Paper 912908, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912908.
- National Highway Traffic and Safety Association, General Estimate Systems, United States Department of Transportation HS-807-666 November 1990
- Generalli, Thomas “The State of the Art of Head Injury Biomechanics” Proceedings AAAM; Washington, D. C. October 1985
- Allsop, Douglas “ L”, et al; “Force/Deflection and Fracture Characteristics of the Temporo-Parietal Region of the Human Head ” SAE Paper # 912907 35th STAPP Car Crash Conference November 1991
- Perl, Thomas R. et al “Deformable Load Sensing Hybrid III Face ” SAE Paper # 892427 33rd STAPP Car Crash Conference October 1989
- Hubbard, Robert P. McLeod, Donald G. Definition and Development of a Crash Dummy Head. Biomedical Science Department, General Motors Research Laboratories 18th STAPP Conference 1974
- Kistler Instrumentation Corporation Piezoelectric Force Transducer Publication
- Kistler Instrumentation Corporation Set of Preloading Elements for Force Transducers
- Kistler Instrumentation Corporation Type 9251A Operating and Service Instructions
- Smith, Gregory C. A Method of Photoarammetry from Single Photographic Prints. Dissertation Brigham Young University August 1988