This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Force/Deflection and Fracture Characteristics of the Temporo-parietal Region of the Human Head
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
Impact tests were conducted on thirty-one unembalmed human cadaver heads. Impacts were delivered to the temporo-parietal region of fixed cadavers by two, different sized, flat-rigid impactors. Yield fracture force and stiffness data for this region of the head are presented. Impactor surfaces consisted of a 5 cm2 circular plate and a 52 cm2 rectangular plate. The average stiffness value observed using the circular impactor was 1800 N/mm, with an average bone-fracture-force level of 5000 N. Skull stiffness for the rectangular impactor was 4200 N/mm, and the average fracture-force level was 12,500 N.
|Technical Paper||Impact Tolerance of the Skull and Face|
|Technical Paper||Impact Studies of Facial Bones and Skull|
|Technical Paper||An Experimental Model for Closed Head Impact Injury|
Citation“L”, D., Allsop, ., Perl, T., and Warner, C., "Force/Deflection and Fracture Characteristics of the Temporo-parietal Region of the Human Head," SAE Technical Paper 912907, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912907.
- Messerer O. “Elasticity and Strength of Human Bones.” Stuttgart: Verlag Cotta'schen Buchhandlung J.G. 1880
- Nahum A.M. Gatts J.D. Gadd C.W. Danforth J. “Impact Tolerance of the Skull and Face.” SAE Paper No. 680785 , 12th Stapp Car Crash Conference Detroit, MI October 22-23 1968
- Melvin J.W. Fuller P.M. Daniel R.P. Pavliscak G.M. “Human Head and Knee Tolerance to Localized Impacts.” SAE Paper No. 690477 Chicago Mid-Year Meeting May 19-23 1969
- Schneider D.C. Nahum A.M. “Impact Studies of Facial Bones and Skull.” SAE Paper No. 720965 , 16th Stapp Car Crash Conference Detroit, MI November 8-10 1972
- Hodgson V.R. Thomas L.M. “Breaking Strength of the Human Skull vs. Impact Surface Curvature.” DOT Contract No. DOT-HS-146-2-230, Report No. DOT-HS-801-002 November 1973
- Allsop D.L. Warner C.Y. Wille M.G. Schneider D.C. Nahum A.M. “Facial Impact Response - A Comparison of the Hybrid III Dummy and Human Cadaver.” SAE Paper No. 881719 , 32 nd Stapp Car Crash Conference Atlanta, Georgia October 17-19 1988