This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mathematical Modeling of the Hybrid III Dummy Chest with Chest Foam
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
A nonlinear foam was added to a previously created three-dimensional finite element model of the Hybrid III dummy chest which consisted of six steel ribs, rib damping material, the sternum, a spine box and a pendulum. Two standard calibration pendulum impact tests for a Hybrid III dummy chest were used to validate the new model. An explicit finite element analysis code PAM-CRASH was utilized to simulate the dynamic process. At impact velocities of 6.7 m/s and 4.3 m/s, the force and deflection time history as well as the force-deflection plots showed good agreement between model predictions and calibration data. Peak strains also agreed well with experimental data.
|Technical Paper||Testing and Modeling of Metallic Multicorner Columns In Axial Crush|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Rollover Testing Methods|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Occupant-Car Crash Simulation with the Finite Element Method: The Porsche Hybrid III-Dummy and Airbag Model|
CitationLasry, D., Hoffmann, R., Yang, K., and Pan, H., "Mathematical Modeling of the Hybrid III Dummy Chest with Chest Foam," SAE Technical Paper 912892, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912892.
- Foster, J.K., Kortge, J.O. Wolanin M.J. 1977 “Hybrid III - A Biomechanically-Based Crash Test Dummy” SAE paper No. 770938 .
- Haug, E., Ulrich, D. 1988 “The PAM-CRASH Code as an Efficient Tool for Crashworthiness Simulation and Design” the Second European Car/Trucks Simulation Symposium, Munich.
- Johnson, J.P. Skynar, M.J. 1989 “Automotive Crash Analysis Using the Explicit Integration Finite Element Method” Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection in Transportation Systems Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. ASME New York 27 32
- Pan, Hong 1991 “Finite Element Modeling of the Hybrid III Dummy Chest” Wayne State University May 1991
- Wiechel, J.F. Bell, S. Pritz, H. Grenther, D. “enhancement of the Hybrid III Dummy Thorax” SAE Paper No. 851732 Proceeding of Twenty - Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings 147 158 1985