This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimentation with a Vehicle Platoon Control System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents results and analysis of experiments carried out on a vehicle platoon control system developed in the PATH program. The objective of this project is to assess the feasibility of applying currently available technology to the concept of vehicle platoon control. It is estimated that the vehicle platoon system could increase highway traffic capacity by a factor of two or three. The Integrated Platoon Control System (IPCS) includes a control system, communication system, data acquisition system, and various sensors including a radar system. The initial experiments using two Ford cars showed successful results. In the field tests, the automated following vehicle successfully followed the manually driven lead vehicle through several different kinds of maneuvers. This project is a joint effort by U.C.Berkeley, Caltrans and VORAD, with vehicles provided by Ford.
- K.S. Chang - University of California, Berkeley
- W. Li - University of California, Berkeley
- P. Devlin - University of California, Berkeley
- A. Shaikhbahai - University of California, Berkeley
- P. Varaiya - University of California, Berkeley
- J.K. Hedrick - University of California, Berkeley
- D. McMahon - University of California, Berkeley
- V. Narendran - University of California, Berkeley
- D. Swaroop - University of California, Berkeley
CitationChang, K., Li, W., Devlin, P., Shaikhbahai, A. et al., "Experimentation with a Vehicle Platoon Control System," SAE Technical Paper 912868, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912868.
- Shladover S.E. “Longitudinal Control of Automated Guideway Transit Vehicles within Platoons,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 100 302 310 Dec. 1978
- Karaslaan, U. Varaiya P. Walrand J. “Two proposals to improve freeway traffic flow,” Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California Berkeley December 1990
- Sheikholeslam S. Desoer C.A. “Longitudinal Control of a Platoon of Vehicles,” 1990 American Control Conference at San Diego 1 291 296
- Hedrick J.K. McMahon D. Narendran V. Swaroop D. “Longitudinal Vehicle Controller Design for IVHS Systems,” 1991 American Control Conference at Boston
- Installation and Operating Manual RXA-1000X Spread-Spectrum Radio Transceiver Proxim, Inc.
- User Reference Manual ATcomm2 METACOMP, Inc.
- Chang K.S. Li W. Shaikhbahai A. Assaderaghi F. Varaiya P. “A Preliminary Implementation for Vehicle platoon Control System,” 1991 American Control Conference at Boston
- McMahon D.H. Hedrick J.K. Shladover S.E. “Vehicle Modelling and Control for Automated Highway Systems,” 1990 American Control Conference at San Diego 1 297 303
- Davis John W “Adapting Radar to the Automotive Environment,” Radar Control Systems Corporation (VORAD) May 1987
- User Manual National Instruments
- User Manual Ready Systems
- Pakett A.G. Malan V.R. “A report of the VORAD radar for the University of California at Berkeley,” VORAD Systems, Inc. May 30 1991