This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety Evaluation of TravTek
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Statement of National Transportation Policy issued by President Bush and Secretary Skinner last year points out that “innovation and technological advances within the transportation field will be vital to ensure that the system can meet the Nation's transportation requirements for the 21st century.” TravTek, a major Intelligent Vehicle/Highway System (IVHS) advanced motorist information demonstration program in the United States, provides an example of just such innovation. The TravTek program focuses on the navigation and route-guidance needs of out-of-town visitors and utilizes a fleet of specially equipped rental cars as the test bed for the advanced technologies to be evaluated. One of the goals of the TravTek program is to evaluate the potential for, and identify needed enhancements for, increased safety of advanced route-guidance projects.
This paper discusses the tools that will be used and the methodologies that will be developed to provide the safety component of the evaluation of TravTek. The evaluation will include the development and application of methodologies for addressing driver/vehicle interaction considerations, collision experience, and the relationship between congestion and collisions.
|Research and Evaluation Plans for the TravTek IVHS Operational Field Test
|Human Factors Engineering the TravTek Driver Interface
|A Contribution on the Application Of Downhill Driving Brakes
CitationBurgett, A., "Safety Evaluation of TravTek," SAE Technical Paper 912830, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912830.
- U. S. Department of Transportation “Moving America: New Directions, New Opportunities,” February 1990
- Rulings James H. “TravTek,” The International Conference on Vehicle Navigation and Information Systems Dearborn, Michigan October 1991
- Federal Highway Administration “Solicitation for proposals for a contract to design, manage, implement and support the evaluation of the TravTek project,” Federal Highway Administration Washington, D.C. June 1991
- Fleischman Rebecca N. “Human Factors in the TravTek Demonstration IVHS Project: Getting Information to the Driver,” Human Factors Society of America San Francisco, California September 1991
- French Robert L. “Intelligent Vehicle/Highway Systems in Action,” ITE Journal November 1990
- Fleischman Rebecca N. “Research and Evaluation Plans for the TravTek Intelligent Vehicle Highway System (IVHS) Demonstration Project,” The International Conference on Vehicle Navigation and Information Systems Dearborn, Michigan October 1991
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration “General Estimates, System-1989,” December 1990
- Federal Highway Administration “National Personal Transportation Study,” 1990
- Perel Michael “Vehicle Familiarity and Safety” NHTSA Technical Note, DOT HS-806-509 July 1983
- Van Aerde Michael Krage Mark “A Simulation of the Traffic Responsive Route Guidance Function of the TravTek Experiment in Orlando, Florida,” The International Conference on Vehicle Navigation and Information Systems Dearborn, Michigan October 1991