This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study on Flow Characteristics around Trucks Passing in Tunnels
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
To get the useful information for a ventilation in tunnels, two-dimensional turbulence flow fields around trucks in tunnels are, as the first step, calculated numerically, while changing the vehicular gap and ejecting speed of gas exhausted from the rear of truck. In addition, to compare the calculated and measured results, the flow patterns in tunnel are visualized by an optical method of laser light sheet and pressure distributions along to center line of the truck are measured by a pressure transducer.
Consequently, relationships between the flow and diffusion patterns of exhausted gas and aerodynamic characteristics around the truck are discussed for various vehicular gaps. Furthermore, the pressure coefficients and flow patterns obtained by calculation are found to be in reasonable agreement with those obtained from measurement.
CitationRyu, H. and Minato, K., "Numerical Study on Flow Characteristics around Trucks Passing in Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 912597, 1991.
- Hucho W.-H. Janssen L. J. Emmelmann H.J. “The Optimization of Body Details-A Method for Reducing the Aerodynamic Drag of Road Vehicles,” SAE Paper 760185 1976
- Ahmed S. R. Baumert W. “The Structure of Wake Flow Behind Vehicles,” Aerodynamics of Transportation ASME 1979 93
- Oda N. Hoshino T. “Three-Dimensional Airflow Visualization by Smoke Tunnel,” SAE Paper 741029 (1074)
- Minato K. Kitoh K. Kobayashi T. “Flow Visualization of the Wake behind a Road Vehicle using the Lazer Light Sheet Method,” Journal of The Visualization Society of Japan 9 34 1989
- Minato K. Kitoh K. Kobayashi T. Saga T. “Flow Visualization around a Road Vehicle using the Fluorescent Oil-film Method and Mini-tuft Method,” Journal of JARI 1988
- Himeno R. Fujitani K. Tanaka H. “A Study of Aerodynamic Characretistics of a Production Car using a Finite-Difference Analysis of Flows,” 1990 JSAE Spring Convention Proceedings 901
- Kawaguchi K. Hashiguchi M. “Computational Study of the Aerodynamic behavior of 3-D Car Configuration with Tires,” 1990 JSAE Spring Convention Proceedings 902
- Kataoka T. China H. Nakagawa K. Yanagimoto K. Yoshida M. “Numerical Simulation of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and Effect of Aerodynamic Devices,” SAE Paper 910597 1991
- Beauvais F. N. “Aerodynamic Inputs to a Parked Vehicle Caused by a Passing Bus,” SAE Paper 700037 1970
- Ahmed S. R. Hucho W. -H. “The Calculation of the Flow Field Past a Van with the Aid of a Panel Method,” SAE Paper 770390 1977
- Minato K. Ryu H. Kobayashi T. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles in Tunnels-Flow Visualization using the Laser Light Sheet Method and its Digital Image Porcessing” SAE Paper 910314 1991