This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Prediction of Volumetric Efficiency for the 4-Cylinder 4-Cycle Diesel Engine
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Korea in South Korea
Annotation ability available
In this study, a computer program has been developed which predicts the variation of the volumetric efficiency with the change of design of the intake system effectively by the analysis of the flow in each part of a multi-cylinder compression ignition engine. For the calculation of the flow in the intake and exhaust systems, the method of characteristics has been used, and the double Wiebe's function has been adopted for the calculation of the heat release rate in the cylinders. The accuracy of presented method has been proved through the comparison between the simulation and the experimental results over the various engine speeds and intake pipe lengths.
CitationLee, J., Sim, H., Lim, S., Yoon, K. et al., "Study on the Prediction of Volumetric Efficiency for the 4-Cylinder 4-Cycle Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 912466, 1991.
- Benson, R.S. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines” 1 329 442 Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Lakshminarayanan P.A. Gajendra Babu M.K. Murthy B.S. “Prediction of Gas Exchange Processes in a Single Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine” SAE 790359 1979
- Lee, J.S. Lee, H.G. Sung, N.W. “Numerical Study on the Prediction of Volumetric Efficiency of Diesel Engine” Proceeding of the Fifth International Pacific Conference on Automotive Engineering 1 244.1 244.9 1989
- Benson, R.S. Annand, W.J.D. Baruah, P. C. “A Simulation Model Including Intake and Exhaust Systems for a Single Cylinder 4-Stroke Cycle S.I. Engine” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 17 (2) 97 124 1975
- Benson, R.S. Garg, R. D. Woollatt, D. “A Numerical Solution of Unsteady Flow Problems”, Int. J.Mech. Sci.” 6 117 144 1964
- Miyamoto, N. Chikahisa, T. Murayama, T. Sawyer, R. “Description and Analysis of Diesel Engine Rate of Combustion and Performance Using Wiebe's Functions” SAE 850107 1985
- Lee, S.R. Miyamoto, N. Murayama, T. Ro, S.S. “Analysis of Combustion and Performance of Diesel Engine by Wiebe's Combustion Function” Trans, of KSME 9 3 353 359 1985
- Annand, W. J. D. “Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 177 973 996 1963
- Benson, R.S. Whitehouse, N.D. “Internal Combustion Engines” Combined Ed. 164 Pergamon Press Oxford 1979
- Daneshyar, H. “Numerical Solution of Gas Flow through an Engine Cylinder” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 10 711 722 1968
- Benson, R.S. Garg, R.D. Woods, W.A. “Unsteady Flow in Pipes with Gradual or Sudden Area Changes” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 178 1 23 1963-64