This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Aromatics, MTBE, Olefins and T90 on Mass Exhaust Emissions from Current and Older Vehicles - The Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Exhaust emissions were measured as a function of gasoline composition in two fleets of vehicles - 20 1989 vehicles and 14 1983-1985 vehicles. Eighteen different gasolines were tested which varied in aromatic, olefin, and MTBE content and in the 90 percent distillation temperature (T90). Subject to the cautions and qualifications described in the body of this paper, mass exhaust emissions in both fleets of vehicles were affected by changes in fuel composition. Responses to changes in MTBE and olefins were similar in both fleets: adding MTBE reduced emissions of HC and CO, and reducing olefins lowered emissions of NOx while raising emissions of HC. In the current fleet, reducing aromatics lowered HC and CO, while in the older fleet, reducing aromatics raised HC and lowered NOx. In the current fleet, lowering T90 reduced HC over 20%, while raising NOx slightly. In the older fleet, lowering T90 reduced HC by only 6%. Regression equations were developed which satisfactorily describe the variations in the data. In addition, other analyses were carried out which help to understand the differences between the fleets and between technology types.
CitationHochhauser, A., Benson, J., Burns, V., Gorse, R. et al., "The Effect of Aromatics, MTBE, Olefins and T90 on Mass Exhaust Emissions from Current and Older Vehicles - The Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program," SAE Technical Paper 912322, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912322.
- Koehl W. J. et al “Effects of Gasoline Composition and Properties on Vehicle Emissions: A Review of Prior Studies” SAE Paper No. 912321 October 1991
- Pahl R. H. McNally M. J. “Fuel Blending and Analysis for the Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE Paper No. 902098 October 1990
- Pollack A. K. et al “Auto/Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program: Description of Working Data Set(In Press)” Systems Application International 1991
- Scheffe H. Analysis of Variance John Wiley and Sons New York 1959 261 290
- Tukey J. W. “Comparing Individual Means in the Analysis of Variance” Biometrics 5 99 1949
- Hawkins D. H. Perold A. F. “On the Joint Distribution of Left- and Right-Sided Outlier Statistics” Utilitas Mathematica 12 129 143 1947
- Sachs L. Applied Statistics 2nd Springer-Verlag, New York 1984 497 498
- Benson J. D. et al “Effects of Gasoline Sulfur Level on Mass Exhaust Emissions” SAE Paper No. 912323 October 1991
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company New York 1988 567 667