This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Autoignition Chemistries of Octane-Enhancing Ethers and Cyclic Ethers: A Motored Engine Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The differing chemistries controlling autoignition of octane-enhancing ethers and of cyclic ethers have been inferred from stable intermediate species measurements using the motored-engine technique. Species measurements for three octane-enhancing ethers and three cyclic ethers are presented, compared with literature studies, and contrasted with those of the other ethers. The chemical mechanisms responsible for autoignition of both ether classes are detailed, compared, and used to explain the differences in octane qualities of the two ether classes. Chemical interactions resulting from the addition of MTBE to the paraffin 2,3-dimethylbutane were measured, and are discussed in terms of the chemical mechanisms controlling the autoignition of the neat ether and paraffin.
CitationLeppard, W., "The Autoignition Chemistries of Octane-Enhancing Ethers and Cyclic Ethers: A Motored Engine Study," SAE Technical Paper 912313, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/912313.
- “MTBE Demand to Soar if Methanol Available” Oil Gas J. March 25 1991
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistry of n-Butane: An Experimental Study” SAE Trans. 96 7.934 7.957 1987
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistry of Isobutane: A Motored-Engine Study” SAE Trans. 97 3.658 3.680 1988
- Leppard, W. R. “A Comparison of Olefin and Paraffin Autoignition Chemistries: A Motored-Engine Study” SAE Paper # 892081 Baltimore, Maryland 1989 SAE Transactions
- Leppard, W. R. “The Chemical Origin of Fuel Octane Sensitivity” SAE Paper # 902137 Tulsa, Oklahoma 1990 SAE Transactions
- Lipari, F. Swarin, S.J. “Determination of Formaldehyde and Other Aldehydes in Automobile Exhaust with an Improved 2,4-Dinitrophenylhydrazine Method” J. Chromatog. 247 297 306 1982
- Cullis, C.F. Newitt, E.J. “The Gaseous Oxidation of Aliphatic Alcohols. I. Ethyl Alcohol: The Products Formed in the Early Stages” Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. 530 542 1956
- Perry, K.L. “A Gas Chromatographic Technique tor the Analysis of Fuel Vapor Containing Oxygenates” J. Chrom. Sci. 28 624 627 1990
- Choo, K.Y. Golden, D.M. Benson, S.W. “Very Low-Pressure Pyrolysis (VLPP) of t-Butylmethyl Ether” Int. J. Chem. Kin. 6 631 641 1974
- Brocard, J.C. Baronnet, F. “Pyrolysis of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether” Oxid. Comm. 1 321 1980
- Brocard, J.C. Baronnet, F. O'Neal, H.E. “Chemical Kinetics of the Oxidation of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE)” Combust. and Flame 52 25 35 1983
- Brocard, J.C. Baronnet, F. “Effets de Parois dans la Pyrolyse du Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether” J. Chim. Phys. 84 19 1987
- Dunphy, M.P. Simmie, J.M. “High Temperature Oxidation of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether” Combust. Sci. and Tech. 66 157 161 1989
- Norton, T.S. Dryer, F.L. “The Flow Reactor Oxidation of C1-C4 Alcohols and MTBE” Twenty-Third Symposium (International) on Combustion 179 185 The Combustion Institute 1990
- Cruickshank, F.R. Benson, S.W. “The Carbon-Hydrogen Bond Strength in Dimethyl Ether and Some Properties of Iodomethyl Methyl Ether” Int. J. Chem. Kin. 1 381 390 1969
- Kondo, O. Benson, S.W. “Kinetics and Equilibria of the Reaction between Bromine and Ethyl Ether. The C-H Bond Dissociation Energy in Ethyl Ether” Int. J. Chem. Kin. 16 949 960 1984
- Westbrook, C.K. Pitz, W.J. Leppard, W.R. “The Autoignition Chemistry of Paraffinic Fuels and Pro-Knock and Anti-Knock Additives: A Detailed Chemical Kinetics Study” SAE Paper # 912314 Toronto, Ontario, Canada 1991
- Leppard, W. R.
- Fish, A. Wilson, J.P. “The Nonisothermal Oxidation of 2,3-dimethylbutane” Thirteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion 229 238 The Combustion Institute 1970
- Baldwin, R.R. Drewery, G.R. Walker, R.W. “Addition of 2,3-Dimethylbutane to Slowly Reacting Mixtures of Hydrogen and Oxygen at 480C” J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 82 251 267 1986
- Molera, M.J. Couto, A. Garcia-Dominguez, J.A. “Gas Phase Oxidation of Tetrahydrofuran” Int. J. Chem. Kin. 20 673 685 1988
- Winer, A.M. Lloyd, A.C. Darnall, K.R. Atkinson, R. Pitts, J.N. “Rate Constants for the Reaction of OH Radicals with n-Propyl Acetate, sec-Butyl Acetate, Tetrahydrofuran, and Peroxyacetyl Nitrate” Chem. Phys. Lett. 51 221 226 1977
- Ravishankara, A.R. Davis, D.D. “Kinetic Rate Constants for the Reaction of OH with Methanol, Ethanol, and Tetrahydrofuran” J. Phys. Chem. 82 2852 2853 1978
- Wallington, T.J. Liu, R. Dagaut, P. Kurylo, M.J. “the Gas Phase Reactions of Hydroxyl Radicals with a Series of Aliphatic Ethers over the Temperature Range 240-440K” Int. J. Chem. Kin. 20 41 49 1988
- Benson, S.W. Thermochemical Kinetics John Wiley and Sons 1976