This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transient and Steady State Performance Characteristics of a Two-Wheel-Steer and Four-Wheel-Steer Vehicle Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Using a three-degree-of-freedom vehicle model (side-slip, yaw and roll degrees of freedom) and a nonlinear, saturating rire model, the behavior of a typical exemplar vehicle (1986 Dodge Lancer Turbo) was simulated. Steady state performance was examined through simulating a skidpad lateral accelerarion maneuver. A lane change maneuver was used to reprcsenr transient performance characteristics. A few simple experiments were conducted wirh rhe exemplar vehicle to establish parameters and verify some performance properties.
Results of both steady srare and rransienr simulations showed that four -wheel steer offers lirrle or no demonstrated performance advanrages over two-wheel steer.
|Journal Article||Virtual Tire Data Influence on Vehicle Level Handling Performance|
|Technical Paper||Aileron-Rudder Interconnects and Flying Qualities|
CitationMetz, L. and Alter, D., "Transient and Steady State Performance Characteristics of a Two-Wheel-Steer and Four-Wheel-Steer Vehicle Model," SAE Technical Paper 911926, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911926.
- Simanaitis, D. “Hanging Out at the Comer,” Road and Track Magazine 67 78 September 1987
- Sano, S. Furukawa, Y. Shiiaishi. S. “Four Wheel Steering With Rear Wheel Steer Angle Controlled as a Function of Steering Wheel Angle,” SAE Paper No. 860625 1986
- Takiguchi, T. Yasuda, N. Furutani, S. Kanazawa, H. Inoue. H. “Improvement of Vehicle Dynamics by Vehicle-Speed-Sensing Four-‘Wheel Steering System,” SAE Paper No. 860624 1986
- “Honda Prelude 2.0 Si,” Road and Track Magazine 54 59 August 1987
- Whitehead. J.C. “Four Wheel Steering: Maneuverability and High Speed Stabilization,” SAE Paper No. 880642 1988
- Csere. C. “Turning Points - A Hard Look at Four-Wheel Steering,” Car and Driver Magazine 75 83 December 1987
- Vanderploeg. M. Tmrn, J. Bernard, J. “Evaluation of Four-Wheel Steer Path Following Performance Using a Linear Inverse Vehicle Model,” SAE Paper No. 880644 1988
- Bernard. J. Vanderploeg, M. Shannan, J. “Linear Analysis of a Vehicle with Four-Wheel Steering,” SAE Paper No. 880644 1988
- Bakker, E. Nyborg, L. Pacejka, H. “Typre Modeling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE Paper No. 870421 1987
- Weber. R. Persch, H.G. “Frequency Response of Tires- Slip Anglesand Lateral Force,” SAE Paper No. 760030 1976
- ISO Paper No. TR3888-1975 (E) . “Road Vehicles-Test Procedure for a Severe Lane Change Manoeuvre,” International Organization for Standardization Switzerland 1975
- Ellis. J. Vehicle Dynamics Business Books London 1969
- Beer. F. Johnston, E. Vecror Mechanics for En gineers McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 4th 1984
- Rasmussen. R.E. Hill, F.W. Riede. P.M. “Typical Vehicle Parameters for Dynamic Studies. Revised for the 1980's” SAE Paper No. 840561 1984
- Advanced Continuous Simulation Language Reference Manual Mitchell and Gauthier Associates Concord, Massachusetts 1986
- Ceppos. R. “Honda Prelude Si 4WS,” Car and Driver Magazine 40 45 August 1987
- Wong, J.J. Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley and Sons Sew York 1978
- Tarborek, J. Mechanics of Vehicle Penton Publishing Co. Cleveland, Ohio 1957
- Greenwood, D.T. Principles of Dynamics Prentice-Hall Inc. Englewood Cliffs. New Jersey 1965