This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Field Performance of Machine Vision for the Selective Harvest of Asparagus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A machine vision system was developed to identify and locate harvestable spears of asparagus. An image acquisition vehicle was fabricated to videotape portions of asparagus rows from a commercial production field. Images were acquired using a monochrome CCD camera. The detection of reflectance properties of asparagus was enhanced by using optical bandpass filters for near-infrared radiation. Videotaped segments acquired in the field were analyzed. Image processing techniques based on geometrical characteristics of asparagus spears were used to identify and locate harvestable spears in the images. Harvestable spears measured in the field were compared to those found by machine vision. The vision system correctly identified from 86 to 97% of the harvestable spears in six 15 m row segments analyzed. The uncertainty in the location of spears was within a 2.97 by 5.39 cm window with 95% confidence.
|Technical Paper||Demonstration of an Automotive Semi-Active Suspension Using Electrorheological Fluid|
|Technical Paper||Fuel Injectors, Sensors and Actuators Manufactured by Bi-Metal Powder Injection Molding|
CitationHumburg, D. and Reid, J., "Field Performance of Machine Vision for the Selective Harvest of Asparagus," SAE Technical Paper 911751, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911751.
- Burt, L. A. Wirth M. E. Burt L. S. 1982 The Pacific Northwest vegetable industry: A summary of production value, and cost trends for selected vegetable crops Research Bulletin XB 0917 1982 Washington State University
- Mears, D. R. Moore M. J. Parashuram 1969 The potential of mechanical asparagus harvesters Transactions of the ASAE 12(6):813-815,821
- Humburg, D. H. Reid J. F. 1990 A machine vision algorithm for identification of harvestable spears of asparagus ASAE Paper No. 907052, ASAE St. Joseph, MI
- Humburg, D. H. Reid J. F. 1989 Background separation and filtering for images of emerging asparagus ASAE Paper No. 897503, ASAE St. Joseph, MI
- Ballard, D. H. Brown C. M. 1982 Computer Vision Prentice Hall, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, NJ