This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Study of Exhaust Emission Reduction and Lubricity of Two Stroke Engine
Published November 01, 1991 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
This paper discussed the results of the exhaust emission (HC, CO & Smoke) and lubricity of two stroke engines for motocycles. Three different displacements 150c.c., 125c.c. and 49c.c. air cooled type, two stroke engines were employed in this study.
Results showed that the emission of HC and CO were not significantly changed by varying oil/fuel ratio, but the visible smoke could be reduced by leaner oil/fuel ratio. The HC and CO emission and visible smoke were reduced in the polybutene containing oils. Higher molecular weight polybutene were more effective for the reduction of smoke.
In view of the lubricity performances, it was found that higher molecular weight polybutene caused the piston skirt scuffing and spark plug fouling problems, and also had a negative effect on piston cleanliness. The combination of low ash type additives with some ashless dispersants improved engine cleanliness and ring sticking.
- Shin-Tsun Lai - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
- Jack P.M. Sheng - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
- Cheng-Shyong Lin - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
- Ron Sheng Lin - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
- Chen-Yi Lin - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
- Yo-Fu Shiau - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
- Gibbs G.S. Huang - Chinese Petroleum Corp. R.O.C.
CitationLai, S., Sheng, J., Lin, C., Lin, R. et al., "The Study of Exhaust Emission Reduction and Lubricity of Two Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 911276, 1991.
- “Exhaust emission measurements of motorcycle” Bureau of Enviormental Protection The Republic of China 1983
- Hare C. T. “Exhaust emission from small enginess--methods of measurement, characteristic, value, and usefulness of data” I. Mech. E. 1978
- Lord G. H. Towle A. “Lubrication of small engine” I. Mech. E. 1978
- Maeda T. Tanabe T. Maeda Y. Tamura K. “Evaluaton of lubricants for Japanese small air cooled two-cycle engines” SAE 790076
- Sugiura Kensuke Kagaya Mineo “A study of visible smoke reduction from a small two -stroke engine using various engine lubricants” SAE 776023
- Sovillard G. J. “The use of polybutene in lubrication” Labo Fina S.A. Brussel-Belgium 1976
- Cassiani Ingoni A. A. Miorali M. G. “A simple bench engine test for the evaluation of the anti-scuffing properties of automotive engine lubricants” SAE 780432
- Mccaffre C. R. Jacobsen R. M. “Future two-cycle engine oil development--a new challenge” SAE 790079