This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Due to Piston Slap and Combustion in Gasoline and Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describe investigations on the vibration characteristics of a gasoline engine due to piston slap and a diesel engine due to combustion. Engine parameters and vibration data were recorded and time series signals were obtained. The effect of speed, load and other engine parameters on vibration is investigated.
Vibration due to piston slap is analysed with reference to major-minor thrust relationship, cylinder to cylinder variation, piston-slap force diagram and vibration-frequency curves. The experimental results suggest that all reciprocating engines would exhibit a complex vibration pattern due to piston slap at harmonic series of discrete frequencies, and the reason for this is analysed.
The vibration transmitted by engine structure in response to the in-cylinder pressure development is termed here as ‘Vibration due to Combustion’ and is assessed from the spectrum of the Combustion Pressure curves and their derivatives in terms of time. It is found that for an engine under the same running conditions, cases with higher values of pressure derivatives result in higher engine vibration level.
|Technical Paper||A Simulation of Diesel Engine Combustion Noise|
|Technical Paper||Noise of Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions|
CitationVora, K. and Ghosh, B., "Vibration Due to Piston Slap and Combustion in Gasoline and Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 911060, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911060.
- Russell, M.F. “Diesel Engine Noise: Control at Source” SAE 820238 1982
- Hiller, V.A.W. Pittuck F. “Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology” 51 Hutchinson & Co. Ltd. London 1981
- Raff, J.A. Grover E.C. “A Primary Noise Generation Mechanism in Petrol Engines” IME Publication C 320/73 1973
- Ohta, Kazuhide Yoshihiko Irie Kiichi Yamamoto Hideyuki Ishikawa “Piston Slap Induced Noise & Vibration of I.C.Engines (1st Report, Theoretical Analysis & Simulation)” SAE 870990 1987
- Priede, T. “In Search of Origins of Engine Noise - An Historical Review” SAE 800534 1980
- Ricardo, H.R. “The High Speed I.C. Engine” Blackie and Sons Ltd. (Glasgow) 1931
- Ricardo, Sir Harry “Memories and Machines - The Pattern of My Life” Constable and Co. Ltd. 1968
- Janeway, R.W. “Combustion Control by Cylinder Head Design” SAE Journal 24 498 1929
- Tung, Vincent T.C. Crocker Malcol J. “Diesel Engine Noise & Relationship to Cylinder Pressure” SAE 820237 1982
- Vora, K.C. Ghosh B. “Studies on Engine Vibration Characteristics due to Piston Slap & Combustion” Government of India, The Automotive Research Association of India 1989