This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Experiments in Occupant Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Mathematical modelling techniques are becoming increasingly important for automotive vehicle design for occupant protection. Clearly, the high cost of test vehicles and laboratory facilities makes it desirable to optimize the restraint design early in the vehicle development with a mathematical model. In this light, parameter screening techniques and optimization are therefore important analysis tools for the engineer to understand and to practice in his modelling work.
In this paper, Design of Experiments methods are discussed and examples are shown for the use of linear (2k-p) models for application in occupant simulation work. Results are presented for a Phase Zero MADYMO 2D Airbag and 3-point seatbelt simulation study of the design factors that influence the HIC in a 50 kph frontal barrier crash test.
CitationBosio, A. and Lupkar, H., "Design of Experiments in Occupant Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 910891, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910891.
- MADYMO 2D (Release 4.2) TNO Road Vehicles Research Institute, Delft, The Netherlands (October 1988).
- Lipson, C., Sheth, N.J., “Statistical Design and Analysis of Engineering Experiments”, McGraw-Hill, New York, (1973).
- Box, G.E.P., Hunter, W.G., and Hunter, J.S., “Statistics for Experimenters”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, (1978).
- Hunter, J.S., “Statistical Design Applied to Product Design”, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 17, No. 4, October, 1985.
- Mason, R.L., Gunst, R. F., Hess, J.L., “Statistical Design and Analysis of Experiments”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, (1989).
- Walpole, R.E., Myers, R.H., “Probability and Statistics for Engieers and Scientists”, Macmillan, New York, (1989).
- Schoofs, A.J.G., “Experimental Design and Structural Optimization”, Doctoral Thesis, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, 1987.
- Kackar, R.N., “Off-Line Quality Control, Parameter Design, and the Taguchi Method”, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 17, No. 4, October, 1985.
- Roslund, J., “Using Preferred Columns to Design Eperiments”, ASQC Quality Congress Transactions, Toronto (1989).APPENDIX