This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Emissions of an Ethanol D.I. Spark-Assisted Diesel Engine Equipped with a Catalytic Converter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of the number of nozzle holes, turbocharging and an oxidizing catalytic converter in an ethanol fuelled spark-assisted diesel engine (SADE) is investigated. Emissions, brake thermal efficiency and other performance parameters are measured and compared with the base-diesel model. The results show that a SADE equipped with a 7-hole injector nozzle and an oxidizing catalytic converter reduces HC and CO emissions drastically at low load, and meets the ECE-49 exhaust emissions standard. Additionally, the SADE exhibits superior brake thermal efficiency at high loads. The brake specific HC and CO emissions are superior to the base-diesel model and the engine operates on lean mixtures at all speeds and loads.
CitationNiemi, S. and Ubong, E., "Exhaust Emissions of an Ethanol D.I. Spark-Assisted Diesel Engine Equipped with a Catalytic Converter," SAE Technical Paper 910850, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910850.
- Ubong, E.U. Development of a Spark-Assisted Direct Injection Multifuel Diesel Engine Especially for Alcohol Fuels Acta Polytechnica Scandinavica Helsinki 1989 80
- Ishizuki, Y. Development of Komatsu Small Bore Methanol Engine 8th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology Tokyo, Japan Nov. 13-16 1988 519 524
- Turunen, R. An Investigation on the Practical Properties of Alcohol Containing Ignition Improvers as Fuel in Diesel Engines Internal Combustion Engine Laboratory, Research Paper No. 35 Helsinki University of Technology 1983 258 951-752-907-4
- Sutela, Esko A Study of Using Methanol Injection to Improve the Quality of a Turbocharged High Speed Diesel Engine Internal Combustion Engine Laboratory, Research Paper No. 35 Helsinki University of Technology 1981 138 951-752- 052-2
- Laurikko, J. Pitkänen, J Alcohol as Fuel in a Dual- Fuel High Speed Diesel Engine Internal Combustion Engine Laboratory, Research Paper No. 47 Helsinki University of Technology 1985 121 951-753-528-7
- Juva, A. Kiijärvi, J. Pitkänen, J A Study of Using Ethanol and Diesel Fuel in Various Supercharged Diesel Engine Internal Combustion Engine Laboratory, Research Paper No. 39 Helsinki University of Technology 1984 54 951-752-733-0
- Niemi, S. An Emission and Turbocharging Study of a Spark Assisted Direct Injection Engine Using Ethanol as Fuel Internal Combustion Engine Laboratory, Research Paper No. 57 Helsinki University of Technology 1989 293 951-22-0050-3
- Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Compression Ignition (CI) Engines and Vehicles Equipped with C.I. Engines with Regard to the Emissions of Gaseous Pollutants by the Engine