This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of In-Mold Coatings on RIM Encapsulated Modular Windows
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-mold coating (IMC) is used to provide protection against ultraviolet (UV) degradation of reaction injection molded (RIM) polyurethane encapsulated modular windows. IMC is a cost-effective method of producing weatherable RIM encapsulated windows. Coating thickness along with intrinsic UV absorbance plays an important role in providing the needed protection from UV degradation. The effectiveness of various thicknesses of in-mold coatings was measured using a spectrophotometer. The thickness of the in-mold coatings was measured using a scanning electron microscope (SEM). Experiments were conducted to determine the desired coating thickness for the IMC process. A statistical analysis was performed on the coating thickness of in-mold coated windows produced under experimental conditions in order to determine the process capability to provide the desired coating thickness. This data was used to establish a lower limit on mean thickness to enable statistical process control.
|Technical Paper||Developments in Modular Windows for Automotive Applications|
|Technical Paper||Safe Highway Transportation of Bulk Liquids|
|Journal Article||Energy Dissipation in Modulation-Assisted Machining of Aerospace Alloys|
CitationAgrawal, R., Fox, K., and Lynam, N., "Characterization of In-Mold Coatings on RIM Encapsulated Modular Windows," SAE Technical Paper 910755, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910755.
- Agrawal R. Agrawal A. Thomas J. Paper # 910759 , SAE International Congr. and Exp. Detroit 1991
- Capocci G. Soc. of Plast. Ind., Polyurethane Div. 30 th Annual Tech. Conf. 220 1986
- Willwerth L.O. Plastics Engineering 40 1 25 1984
- Granville T. Huys D. Kubizne P.J. Soc. Plast. Ind., Polyurethane Div. 30 th Annual Tech. Conf. 16 1986
- Garey H.E. Willwerth L. Soc. Plast. Ind, Polyurethane Div. Polyurethane World Congress - 50 Years of Polyurethanes 1987
- Ulrich H. Soc. Plast. Ind., Polyurethane Div. 29 th Annual Tech. Conf. 113 1985
- Carswell R. Kubizne P.J. SPI Polyurethane Div. 29 th Annual Tech. Conf. Nevada 1985
- Gardner/Neotec Instrument Div. MD., USA
- Hunt R.W.G. “Measuring Colour” John Wiley & Sons 1989
- Suddaby B.R. Short M.J. Thompson T.N. Paper# 900517 , SAE International Cong. and Exp. Detroit 1990
- Analyzed using SPSS/PC+ software SPSS Inc. IL., USA
- Mendenhall W. “Introduction to Probability and Statistics” Wadsworth Publishing Co. 1975