This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Particle Sizing Using a Two-Dimensional Image
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Particle size data is available from the scattered light pattern collected by a still camera in a typical particle image velocimetry(PIV) experiment. While most PIV experiments are primarily interested in fluid velocities for a seeded flow, in a fuel spray the spray droplets may be used as the scattering particles in dilute areas of the spray. Conventional PIV processing can provide a local average particle velocity in the plane of illumination. In addition, analysis of the scattering signature of the ensemble of particles in a small area of the PIV photograph can provide an average particle size.
Examples of the proposed experimental technique will be given, as well as a suitable inversion scheme for obtaining particle size distributions from the diffraction pattern using an integral inversion.
CitationFarrell, P., "Particle Sizing Using a Two-Dimensional Image," SAE Technical Paper 910725, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910725.
- Koo J. Y. Martin J. K. SAE Paper 900397 1990
- Swithenbank J. Beer J. M. Taylor D. S. Abbot D. McCreath G. C. AIAA 53 Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics Zinn B. T. 1976
- Yule A. J. Seng C. A. Felton P. G. Ungut A. Chigier N. A. Comb. and Flame 44 71 1982
- Farmer W. M. Applied Optics 11 2603 1972
- Bachelo W. D. Applied Optics 19 363 1980
- Bachelo W. D. Hauser M. J. Opt. Eng. 23 583 1984
- Jackson T. A. Samuelson G. S. Applied Optics 26 2137 1987
- Dodge L. G. Rhodes D. J. Reitz R. D. Applied Optics 26 2144 1987
- Hirleman E. D. Bachelo W. D. Felton P. G. Liquid Particle Size Neasurement Techniques: 2nd Volume 1083 1990
- Meynart R. Applied Optics 22 535 1983
- Adrian R. J. Yao C. S. Applied Optics 24 44 1985
- Adrian R. J. Int. J. Heat & Fluid Flow 2 127 1986
- Adrian R. J. Laser Anemometry in Fluid Mechanics Ladoan-Instituto Superior Technico Portugal 1988
- Goodman J. W. Introduction to Fourier Optics McGraw-Hill 1968
- Kaufmann G. H. Applied Optics 20 4277 1981
- Reuss D. L. Adrian R. J. Landreth C. C. French D. T. Fansler T. D. SAE paper 890616 1989
- Grobel M. Merzkirch W. Proceedings ICALEO 63 97 1987
- Hinsch K. Schipper W. Mach D. Applied Optics 23 4460 1984
- Arnold W. Hinsch K. D. Mach D. Applied Optics 25 330 1986
- Kouzelis D. Candel S. M. Esposito E. Zikikout S. Optical Particle Sizing Gousbet G. Grehan G. Plenum 1988
- Fymat A. L. Mease K. D. Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere, Inversion Methods and Applications Fymat A. L. Zueu V. E. Elsevier 1978
- Dodge L. G. Opt. Eng. 23 626 1984