This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Study on the Effects of Apex Seal Leakage on Wankel Engine Flow Fields
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A numerical study was conducted to examine how leakages across apex seals affect the flow field in one combustion chamber of a motored, two-dimensional, Wankel rotary engine. Results are presented which show the effects of engine speed, leakage area, and compression ratio on velocity field, distribution of turbulent kinetic energy, and volume-averaged pressure when there are apex seal leakages. These results indicate that apex seal leakages can have a significant effect on the flow field.
This numerical study is based on the density-weighted-ensemble-averaged continuity, “full compressible” Navier-Stokes, and total energy equations, closed by a k-ε model of turbulence with wall functions. The numerical method used to obtain solutions was the approximate factorization algorithm of the ADI type. All convection terms were treated by second-order accurate upwind differencing through flux-vector splitting. All diffusion terms were treated by second-order accurate central differencing.
CitationLi, Z., Shih, T., Schock, H., and Willis, E., "A Numerical Study on the Effects of Apex Seal Leakage on Wankel Engine Flow Fields," SAE Technical Paper 910703, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910703.
- Eberle, M.K. Klomp, E.D. “An Evaluation of the Potential Performance Gain from Leakage Reduction in Rotary Engines,” SAE Transactions 82 1974 454 460
- Yamamoto, K. Rotary Engine Sankaido Co., Ltd. Tokyo, Japan 1981
- Hamady, F. Stuecken, T. Schock, H.J. “Airflow Visualization and LDV Measurements in a Motored Rotary Engine Assembly, Part 1: Flow Visualization,” SAE Paper 900030 1990
- Chouinard, E. Hamady, F. Schock, H.J. “Airflow Visualization and LDV Measurements in a Motored Rotary Engine Assembly, Part 1: LDV Measurements” SAE Paper 900031 1990
- Knoll, J. Vilmann, C.R. Schock, H.J. Stumpf, R. “A Dynamic Analysis of Rotary Engine Seals,” SAE Paper 840035 1984
- Schock, H.J. Private Communication 1990
- Steinthorsson, E. Shih, T.I-P. Schock, H.J. Stegeman, J. “Calculations of the Unsteady, Three-Dimensional Flow Field inside a Motored Wankel Engine,” SAE paper 880625 1988 SAE 1988 Transaction Journal of Engines 97 6.1160 6.1188
- Li, Z. Steinthorsson, E. Shih, T.I-P. Nguyen, H.L. “Modelling and Simulation of Wankel Engine Flow Fields,” SAE Paper 900029 1990 SAE 1990 Transaction Journal of Engines
- Steinthorsson, E. Li, Z. Shih, T.I-P. Nguyen, H. L. Willis, E. A. “Development of a Wankel Engine Code Based on a Flux- Vector Splitting Scheme for Deforming Spatial Domains,” NASA Technical Memorandum
- Jameson, A. Turkel, E. “Implicit Schemes and LU Decompositions,” Mathematics of Computations 37 1981 385 397