This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electrically Heated Metal Substrate Durability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emission performance of an electrically heated catalytic converter is presented for both low-mileage tests and after exhaust aging using a 300 h dynamometer schedule. The aged converter system maintained its ability to significantly reduce cold start hydrocarbon and CO emissions on a late model gasoline-fueled passenger car. In these tests HC and CO emissions were reduced by 76% and 92%, respectively, during the first 140 seconds of the FTP urban driving cycle by operating the aged converter with resistance heating and air injection, in comparison to operation of the same aged converter in an unheated configuration. These reductions for heated operation versus unheated operation were comparable to the 80% HC and 96% CO cold start emission reductions observed in low-mileage testing of the same converter. The air injection strategy used in the resistively heated operation increased cold start NOx emissions in the first 140 s of the FTP by 60% versus unheated operation of the low-mileage converter. After engine aging, the converter exhibited similar NOx performance in the cold start phase for both heated and unheated operation. No changes in heat-up performance were observed for the heated catalyst after the aging protocol or after hot vibration testing using a 760°C inlet engine exhaust temperature.
CitationWhittenberger, W. and Kubsh, J., "Electrically Heated Metal Substrate Durability," SAE Technical Paper 910613, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910613.
- Hellman K.H. Bruetsch R.I. Piotrowski G.K. Tallent W.D. SAE Paper No. 890799 1989
- Williams R.L. Lipari F. Potter R.A. “Formaldehyde, Methanol, and Hydrocarbon Emissions from Methanol-Fueled Cars,” Air and Waste Management Assoc. Anaheim CA June 1989
- Whittenberger W.A. Kubsh J.E. SAE Paper No. 900503 1990
- Hurley R.G. Hansen L.A. LaCourse D.L. Watkins W.L.H. Gandi H.S. Whittenberger W.A. SAE Paper No. 900504 1990
- Heimrich M.J. SAE Paper No. 902115 1990
- CARB workshop April 1990 CVS News May 1990
- Kubsh J.E.
- Cooper B.J. Truex T.J. SAE Paper No. 850128 1985