This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Approximate Formability Analysis of Two-Step Stretch Flanges
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many stretch flanges in sheet metal parts are formed from material which has been significantly strained in a previous forming operation. This paper uses the assumption of axisymmetry and an engineering approximation to develop a formula for the final flange length, given the shape of the intermediate configuration and the trim location. The maximum flange length is limited by splitting of the metal at the free edge, and the strain level at which splitting takes place depends strongly on the strain state and magnitude of the intermediate configuration. Using the above-mentioned formula with experimentally determined forming limits, a computer program is developed to calculate maximum flange lengths for balanced biaxial prestrain. Comparison is made to some limited experimental data.
CitationWenner, M., "Approximate Formability Analysis of Two-Step Stretch Flanges," SAE Technical Paper 910514, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910514.
- Dange, P.R. Subramanian, N. S. 1972 “Hole Flanging of Sheet Metals,” Sheet Metal Industries 49 209 210
- Wang, N. M. Wenner, M. L. 1974 “An Analytical and Experimental Study of Stretch Flanging,” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 16 135 143
- Tang, S. C. 1981 “Large Elasto-Plastic Strain Analysis of Flanged Hole Forming,” Computers & Structures 13 363 370
- Wang, N. M. Tang, S. C. 1986 “Applications of the Finite Element Method to Sheet Metal Flanging Operations,” in Simulation of Metal Forming Processes by the Finite Element Method (SIMOP-I) Springer- Verlag Berlin 279 306
- Johnson, W. Ghosh, S. K. Reid, S. R. 1980 “Piercing and Hole-Flanging of Sheet Metals:a Survey,” Memoires Scientifiques Revue de Metallurgie 77 585 606
- Demeri, M. Y. 1988 “The Axi-Symmetric Stretch Flanging of Sheet Steel,” Proc. 15th Biennial Congress International Deep Drawing Research Group, ASM International 231 236
- Laukonis, J. V. Ghosh, A. K. 1978 “Effects of Strain Path Changes on the Formability of Sheet Metals,” Met. Trans. A 9A 1849 1856
- Ranta-Eskola, A. 1980 “Effect of Loading Path on the Formability of Sheet Metals, ” Memoires Scientifiques Revue de Metallurgie 77 543 552
- Wenner, M. L. 1976 Unpublished research
- Frey, W. H. Wenner, M. L. 1987 “Development and Applications of a One- Dimensional Finite Element Code for Sheet Metal Forming Analysis,” Samanta S. K. et al. Interdisciplinary Issues in Materials and Manufacturing ASME New York 307 319
- Lu, Z. H. Lee, D. 1987 “Prediction of History-Dependent Forming Limits by Applying Different Hardening Models,” Int. J. Mech. Sci. 29 123 137